Tuesday, January 22, 2008

 

A new year, a new super-team


I spent some time this weekend with my new mock trial team (pictured above, with Waco's own Kobayashi, Gordon Davenport). They will be heading out to Sacramento in mid-March for the National Ethics Trial Competition, informally known as the National Ethics Smackdown (NES). Last year, we got to the semifinals of the NES, and I hope to do even better this year. The team is composed of Layne Rouse, Christie Smith, Rachel Sonnstein, Tom Jacob, Kaye Johnson, and Ed Cloutman. My fellow coaches are Davenport and Judge Manske.

Coaching and participating on teams takes a lot of time, but I think it is worthwhile as an educational experience. Over time, I hope that we will be able to field more teams and include more students, because we have a lot of talented students who don't get a chance right now. I always try to comprise my teams largely of people who have not had a chance to compete in mock trial; on this team, for example, only two have been on a team before. Still, there are several others whom we easily and confidently could have chosen. It certainly hasn't been a handicap to give new people a chance-- last year, newbie Campbell Warner excelled at the NES, winning best advocate in the semifinal round.

Like many other things here, coaching teams reminds me again how sharp and hard-working our students are.

Comments:
Hey, what about Ironman or that one woman with the hammer?
 
As a true mock trial legend at Baylor Law School, and the Obi Wan Kenobi to D-port's Anakin Skywalker, I wish your team well Razor. Without a doubt, being on a team coached by you and El Diablo is the most fun that any law student can hope to have and one of the best learning experiences.

Now, back to base for debriefing and cocktails!!
 
RRL--

Hmm... does this mean that Davenport might turn to the dark side?

And what exactly would be the dark side of mock trial?
 
I have to say -- being on Osler's team was one of my best experiences in law school. Even though we lost and Gordon attacked me in the streets of Key West.

Go get 'em, SuperFriends.
 
I believe D-port may very well turn to the dark side of mock trial, which I always defined as being on one of Powell's teams. I kid, I kid....
 
I agree - mock trial is an undertaking you will never, never regret.

Well, unless Gordon uses your napkin at dinner to wipe away his bodily fluids...or unless you got carried away at post-tournament celebrations and still can't stand even the smell of beer...or unless your fatty insults to a Dallas socialite incite a brawl at Oceannaire's...anyway, I loved mock trial, and think that there should eventually be a reunion of Osler mock trial teams, or of Baylor mock trial teams, period (then we can have our own afterparty). But let's not have it at Oceanaire's, primarily because we are not allowed there after Rookie Team 2006.

CONGRATS to the new team, esp. Layne Rouse, whom I remember when he was "this tall" as a first-year.
 
Does this mean Rachel, Kaye and yours truly duke it out over who gets to be Wonder Woman??

I'm betting on Kaye.
 
Well, who is the Pixie woman with the fairy stick thing? Does she actually have some kind of power?
 
Anon--

That's Heather Kanny, but she's on Wren's team.
 
They look impressive! I wouldn't wanna mess with that lineup . . .
 
They're good....but the green lantern can't close to save his life. And superman can't do a soft cross. Batman is great on direct, though. And Wonder Woman gives a great open.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#