Sunday, January 13, 2008

 

The Need to Explain


This week Marion Jones was sentenced to six months in prison for lying about her steroid use. Notably, she wasn't convicted of using steroids; rather, like Martha Stewart and others, she is going to prison for telling lies. The intriguing thing about these cases to me is that the target of the investigation didn't have to say anything at all; they could have remained silent. They certainly knew that was their right.

But, it seems, we have this strong human need to "explain." I saw it over and over again as a prosecutor-- people who didn't have to talk, were told they could remain silent, who signed a document saying they understood that-- then talked for hours. It was never a good move, not once.

Being guilty is just one reason to not explain; sometimes there are others. One important reason for lawyers in some cases not to explain is the need to keep confidences. I worry that some of our students undervalue this; they have been raised in a culture awash with information about everything and everyone, and sometimes think that if they don't get an answer to every question the person withholding information is in the wrong (when sometimes the opposite is true). As lawyers, this expectation that all be told will run up against important ethical rules and principles, especially the need to keep attorney-client and some other communications confidential.

Moral considerations aside, a major problem with not keeping confidences is that you prove yourself unworthy to receive them, which can be fatal to a legal career. Law, and a principled life, sometimes demands that you keep a secret, even when some will think it unfair. It is one kind of toughness that is too little heralded, but still often valued in the rough-and-tumble of real life, within and without the practice of law.

Comments:
Do you think that Roger Clemens is making the same mistake, or maybe even something worse?
 
It depends-- if he is telling the truth, he may be doing the right thing, just a little too much of it.
 
I have to deal with that issue from time to time: I am a college counselor; I'm the one who tells the stories about the kids, who sums them all up for their college applications.

There have been things I've been dying to tell, knowing they could help kids' admission, but if the students don't want me to tell, I don't. Great, heartwrenching stories that I know would move admissions officers (because I used to be one). I had one kid who had even faked her address so she could go to school in a better school district, and had to keep up this lie on all sorts of things--couldn't invite friends to her house because they'd know where she really lived; had to give someone else's address so her SAT scores could be sent there--but she didn't want me to out her. And it could've been risky. So I didn't. And she still got in, because she was extraordinary enough otherwise.

And I get asked sometimes, what should I tell? Should I tell the college that I have a learning disability? Do I have to tell them I'm half Mexican?

I give them my honest advice, which is usually to tell. But I have to make the same choice all the time, in the things that I write. And it's an important one, because my reputation and the school's depends on it. It's not easy. I hope I make the right decisions about what to tell and what not to.
 
A serious and sincere hypothetical for the wise ones. In addition to confidences and secrets, I was taught 'you don't have to say everything you know/think.' Certainly a means to self-preservation in a post-bar world suddenly teaming with a**-kissing, back-stabbing, office politics, but it rankles - badly - and seems wrong. Opposing counsel? I expect the ambush. Defendant? Well, duh. Judge? Judges will do whatever judges will do. But when an accomplished politician (i.e., boss) repeatedly directs one to "Yes, DO Plan A!" while simultaneously undermining and countermanding Plan A at every turn when staff members, opposing counsel, etc., disagree (old boy network in full operation here) . . . it becomes untenable. Obviously it is not 'political' to call boss out with specific instances of misconduct for talking out of both sides and causing strife and dissension - but what to do? Just let respect and cases fly out the window on a whim (pretty girl? dismiss. guy's a jerk - full brunt of the law. Clerk doesn't like new procedure? Instruct clerk to just do as she pleases but under the radar yet pointing the finger at same clerk for being a renagade you haven't been clear with.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#