Sunday, December 09, 2007

 

The song that undoes me


I don't know if this is true of everyone, but there are certain songs which just move me, even just looking at the words on paper. This might be most true about "Angels From the Realms of Glory," one of the less popular Christmas hymns.

Angels from the realms of glory,
Wing your flight o’er all the earth;
Ye who sang creation’s story
Now proclaim Messiah’s birth.

Come and worship, come and worship,
Worship Christ, the newborn King.


The music for the song was written by Henry Smart, pictured here. You will notice that we bear a striking physical similarity, particularly the hairstyle.

The words are simple and direct, and they proclaim something dear to me: The idea of celebration. I'm a big proponent of the feast, the dance, the singing with joy of a true celebration, and I think we don't have enough of it these days.

[karaoke version available here]


Comments:
Is that you playing the guitar?
 
"Hark! The Herald Angels Sing" got me today. Aren't Christmas Carols awesome?
 
Angels We Have Heard on High= #1 best carol.
 
AFTROG FTW.

One of my favorites, too.
 
me too. love it
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#