Tuesday, November 06, 2007

 

Things to do after finals-- "American Gangster"


I don't expect that many Baylor students are going to movies this week, but once finals are over at least a few might want to go see Denzel Washington in American Gangster. It's the story of Frank Lucas, who rose to the top of New York's heroin trade in the 1970's. The presence of Denzel Washington is a good reason to see the movie, of course, but I'm fascinated by the subject matter as well. One great thing about teaching and studying criminal law is that it is always around us, both in the news and popular culture.

Lucas was not alone; he was one of several heroin overlords who rose to prominence at about the same time. In Detroit, for example, the local Frank Lucas was Butch Jones, who helped destroy the city while creating a new paradigm for criminal groups. His gang, Young Boys, Inc., created horrifying innovations such as using juveniles to handle the drugs.

One thing the movie illustrates is that not all drug dealers are equally dangerous. It is those who are innovators, leaders, and good businessmen who create the most societal damage. Some criminals are much more successful than others, and if we care about controlling crime we need to prioritize those most important targets. One reason that I have worked against the 100-1 powder-crack ratio in federal sentencing (which actually was taken out of the sentencing guidelines last week) is that it creates exactly the opposite incentive for law enforcement, since crack dealers are at the bottom of the criminal network leading to crack sales.

Comments:
Osler, I think the situation in Pakistan and the role of lawyers in the protests there is worth a post. I think there needs to be some show of solidarity with our Pakistani counterparts.
 
I can't believe my comment didn't elicit one response. I've been so upset by this all day that I called the Texas Bar and spoke with the media relations person there. They are currently working on issuing a condemnation statement. This is all of us getting beat up and thrown in jail. It's abhorrent. And why? Because judges and lawyers are telling Pervez no. Come on people! Osler, I'd like to hear from you on the issue.
 
Off the comment topic, I know, but my Other and I went to see American Gangster this weekend...as a prosecutor/narc combination, we were both very interested in the subject material. We both loved it, but most of the movie involved me leaning over and saying "the Russell Crowe character has the same haircut as my PR professor from law school".
 
Russell Crowe with his hair cut like Trail's? That's a strange and scary image.
 
Where does the excision of the 100/1 ration leave Kimbrough?

Love,
Matt
 
Love, Matt--

Good question. Probably, it leaves Kimbrough to address, in the particular, how appellate courts should address those crack sentences issued before the change, and in general, the deference that should be paid to implied and/or unconstitutional expressions of Congressional intent as they relate to sentencing.
 
I guess I should clarify...Osler was my PR professor. There's a particular scene with Russell Crowe in a Hawaiian shirt and white tennis shoes, carrying a sledgehammer, that reminded me of my "night before the PR exam" nightmares....
 
Just to clarify--

Best that I can remember, I have never taken to visiting PR students the night before an exam carrying a sledgehammer while wearing tennis shoes and a hawaian shirt. But, I might start doing that in the future...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#