Monday, November 26, 2007

 

Sad news for the B, and the World


Over at Bearmeat, "Red" Andrews has announced that he is once again dead. Given that BearMeat has been silent since Tuesday, it appears the blog may die with him, and this makes me very sad.

I think we tend to get a little goofy about sports. I'm a fan, myself-- I have season tickets for Baylor football, men's basketball, and women's basketball, and have also been to Baylor softball, volleyball, and baseball games (I'm working on equestrian, Adjunct). I have a great deal of admiration for many of the people involved in Baylor sports, especially Ian McCaw and Matthew Driscoll, the Assistant Head Coach of the men's basketball team, who are among the most hard-working and competent people I know at Baylor.

That said, I think sometimes we take sports far too seriously in terms of imagining they are important in and of themselves. The fate of this University does not rest on who the next football coach will be. Who wins the Super Bowl doesn't really matter in the same way as public education or environmental degradation or criminal law policy.

But that doesn't mean sports don't matter. They matter in the same way that Shakespeare or The Godfather matters-- by defining us and providing us with ways of either evading or framing our own struggles.

At their best, sports stories are basically human interest stories-- tales about a person or group struggling to succeed. They are analogies to our own struggles, proxies for our own tragedies we may not want to dwell on, and ways of being part of a group. Who wins the Tour de France won't affect my life much; that is, unless I choose to pay attention and take inspiration from Lance Armstrong in the same way I do a person I know personally, like Allison Dickson.

I don't know if Ian McCaw reads BearMeat, though I'm pretty sure he took some flack from some alums for their humorous approach. In the end, though, I suspect that he sees the value in someone making fun of things which need that context, which on their own can become false idols. Right now, he's hiring a football coach, and that's important, but somewhere there is also a committee hiring a lab director for a cancer research project with a $50 million budget and a chance of success. Both need to be in proper perspective. And regardless of who the new coach is, I'll be at the first game next year listening to Prof. Serr's predictions and searching the sideline for that walk-on who might just get a chance to play.

Comments:
I have a theory about politics and sports:

Politics in this country started to get really nasty and personal in about 1991, just about the time the 1992 Presidential election campaign was gearing up. Its pretty much been that way for the last 16 years. Yes, I know that both Clinton and Bush have admirers, but for good reasons and bad, a substantial number of Americans HATE Bill Clinton another substantial number hates GW Bush.

What also happened in 1991? Joe Gibbs resigned as coach of the Washington Redskins and since then the Redskins have been pretty bad.

As anyone who has ever lived in the D.C. area can tell you, this town is Redskins crazy. Every year "we" expect to go to the Super Bowl, despite the fact that the Redskins have made the playoffs twice in the past 15 years. Redskins mania (and hatred -- lots of that too) draws people together. Republicans talk to Democrats about the Skins, Blacks talk to Whites, Conservatives talk to Liberals, etc.

Its amazing. On a Monday after a win, everyone is talking and happy. Today, like most Mondays over the past few years, everyone is grumpy and disgusted. So instead of talking to each other, everyone burrows in and figures out how to STICK IT to someone....
 
Yikes, IPLG! But I think, based on my own observations, there is something to that. Which means that the Redskins matter in a way other teams don't.
 
Is that Blake Szymanski lap dog? Maybe next year we can ban lap dogs in the locker room...
 
In response to your not-yet-developed interest in equestrian, allow me to explain the rules of the sport....wait, there's not enough time...lemee sum up. Very much like gymnastics or ice skating. Hard to tell when it's being done well..very easy to tell when someone screws up. High potential for boredome...even higher potential for hilarity. Come on out, but don't bring your air horn.
 
Boredom and hilarity? Are you sure you aren't talking about football?
 
231 -- same tight pants. Completely different look
 
Football, especially Baylor football, would be WAY more interesting if they played it on horses.

So long as the other team did not get horses.
 
Think I'm kidding about Washington D.C.'s obsession with the Redskins?

Check out the Washington Post website today. The lead story is NOT the MidEast Summit taking place just down the road in Annapolis, nor is it about the resignation of Trent Lott or anything else of national or international import...
 
Dear Razor:

I sit here sick of heart, and faint of spirit. I needs my BearMeat. Why was Red cut down in the prime of his tenure?

Every day I went to Bearmeat for my daily dose of fun, hilarity, and hopefully a link to some hot chicks.

I cannot beleive its gone. If you die, or know someone who dies, please talk to Red, the Guvnr, or the Judge and let them know thier hauntings from the grave have been a great source of inspiration to many.

I may just have to come here, just because of the connection. How do you feel about vulgarity? Red let me cuss as I needed to, but it was always gratuitus.

Continually sad,

Poopsammich
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#