Saturday, November 03, 2007

 

Homecoming Mayhem at Baylor!

Baylor's Homecoming antics hit a fever pitch this year. The Lariat, Baylor's student paper, had extensive coverage this week on the tradition of the "Eternal Flame." I'm not quite sure what the eternal flame represents, but this tradition does seem to play fast-and-loose with the term "eternal." Among the Lariat's headlines this week:

Day 1: "Eternal Flame Tradition Continues"
Day 2: "Eternal Flame to Be Extinguished at 2 A.M.
Day 3: "Eternal Flame Cancelled"

Again, I'm unclear on the specifics, but it seems that the eternal flame is guarded by freshmen, who are then attacked by upperclassmen who try to put it out. Violence seemed almost predestined.

I managed to see the second half of Baylor getting shellacked by Texas Tech (final score 38-7). Baylor played five different quarterbacks, plus (I think) Professor Serr. However, it wasn't the Baylor blowout that was most significant. Rather, I kind of gasped when this appeared on the scoreboard:

Kansas 76
Nebraska 39


Basketball score? More crazy highjinx from the Baylor scoreboard operators? No, in fact, just a terrifying reality for Nebraska fans.

Finally, having stayed to the bitter end, I was handed a little pamphlet as I left the stadium. It turned out to be an advertising book from a razor company with lots of coupons. What I found unsettling was the tag line on the cover: "SHAVING SOLUTIONS FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY!" Gah! What kind of family is that? I can see, maybe, a family of skinheads using a special razor to shave their kid's head. Baylor, oh Baylor...

Comments:
All about the Eternal Flame can be found here.

Basically, it's lit in memory of the Immortal 10--you know, that group of guys they just made a statue of.

What I don't understand is why they're punishing the entire event and not just the individuals who take it too far--i.e. the guy who bashed an "attacker's" head into the concrete. A little violence is fun...a lot is unacceptable.
 
I hope Prof. Ryan will recover by Monday.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#