Sunday, October 14, 2007

 

Nice Shootin', Tex!

On Friday night, I watched the very first Star Wars movie, the one from 1977. Originally, it was called "Star Wars," but now that it is the fourth movie in a series of six, we are supposed to call it "A New Hope." It's a good movie, and unintentionally funny since many of the things depicting the far distant future seem outdated as of now. The robots, for example, are full of wires, many of which are exposed; apparently they are from a galaxy without circuitboards.

Anyways, I did notice something intriguing. In the scene where Luke Skywalker and the other rebel pilots are flying in to destroy the Death Star, at least two of the pilots have distinct Texas Accents. Texans, with guns, in space.

The next day I mentioned it to some students, who liked the idea of these guys being interstellar NASCAR fans from Abilene. We eventually came to the consensus that if you looked closely at the back window of one of the Rebel X-Wing fighters, you would probably see a sticker of Calvin peeing on the Death Star.

UPDATE: While we are talking Star Wars, check out this Wookie-related PR test from last year. Also, I hope everyone is aware of the Wren-Wookie connection.

Comments:
My Boss Matt watches that movie constantly.

WHen I competed for Miss Grosse Pointe in the 80's My Talent routine was to that song. I have a video of it here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wffwg7pA0t8
 
GED and I collaborated on that joke. Though I do like the idea of the rebels as a bunch of Texas rednecks. And of course, the evil Empire is British.
 
No, no! The evil empire is the New York Yankees.

I love it when the death star explodes every October!
 
I have very good memories of seeing all the Star Wars movies in the old Diamond Point & Lake Air theaters. I always tagged along with my older brother (sans parental supervision).

Saw Jaws and Orca that way, too. Caddyshack, Stripes, Halloween, and one of my alltime faves, Meatballs (yeah, I'm a Bill Murray fan). That probably would not fly these days, but I'm really glad I saw all those in the theater.

We really liked the Game Plan, thanks for letting us sit with you all!
 
All you need to remember is this...

"Han shot first."
 
Why do they always make the bad guys or the buffoons have Southern accents in the movies? That's a big movie pet peeve of mine. The evil drill sergeant ALWAYS has a Southern accent. And it's usually a BAD Southern accent, which is even worse!

Grumble grumble . . . but I bet it would be fun to see the original Star Wars again.
 
I'd fly with Redneck Wing.




Oh. and about that law question. its not your field per se, but how does an 18 wheeler putting "Not responsible for broken windshields" on the back of the truck MAKE them not responsible? Thats like me saying I'm not responsible for hitting someone in the face, you know? But uh - like I said. Not exactly your field but theres lots of people who are smarter than I on this board. so.
 
BM--

I don't think the sign would absolve the trucker-- it's the law that would define whether or not he was responsible.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#