Tuesday, October 23, 2007

 

My days as a one-hit wonder


Back in college in the 80's I got heavily involved with the college radio station, WCWM (then known as "Radio Free Williamsburg"). Actually, it was Station Manager IPLawGuy who first noticed me fooling around with stuff in the production room and gave me a show.

One of the things I loved doing was remaking songs with a local angle. My most popular remake, which got into heavy rotation, was of the song heard in this video-- Ebn Ozn's "AEIOU Sometimes Y." I found a version of the song without the talking part, and spliced in me talking about taking the wife of the University's president, whose name was "Zoe," out on a date. I suppose that should have gotten me in trouble, and in retrospect it might explain why I wasn't a darling of the administration. It was a fun song, though-- right to the end, where I replaced the "Lola... Lola" line with "Zoe... Zoe...," said with great longing.

It's a good thing I am now a very serious academic who would never do anything like that.

And no, my hair wasn't like that. Not quite.

Comments:
At Oral Roberts, you would have been expelled.
 
Iplawguy--

Is this true? Was his hair not like that?
 
Unfortunately, we had YouTube removed from our office computers. And my laptop isn't powerful enough to run YouTube. So I'll have to borrow Iplawife's computer and check it out.

The Prof's hair varied year to year while he was an undergrad. It got REAL LONG at one point and he had the whole Unabomber look down.

Chicks still dug him though.

And yes, we met when he showed up at WCWM, the campus radio station. He fails to mention that he later hosted Quiz Kid, Virginia's longest running radio game show.
 
That song stunt is SO Animal House! Did that movie come out in 1979? You know, there was some stunt with Dean Wormer's daughter and also with his wife, wasn't there?

I wonder if Zoe the W & M president's wife ever heard the song?
 
Dean Wormer had NOTHING in common with President Graves and Zoe Graves was NOTHING like Dean Wormer's wife.

The wife of the successor to Pres. Graves, however ......
 
You know, the Unibomber's problem wasn't his look, it was the whole "bomb" thing. His look-- the shades and the hoodie-- that was pretty good.
 
IPLG-- it was also Virginia's most popular radio game show!
 
OK, that song blew in the 80's and its still irritating now. All synth, not a single guitar.

And no, Prof. Osler never looked like that. If he he's ever worn a wifebeater T I'd be shocked.

I did think it was kind of amusing that the singer was so doughy looking yet wore that shirt. These days you'd have to be CUT to wear that shirt in a video.

Prof. Osler should go back and listen to the CDs created by someone we both know. That guy knows how to ROCK!
 
Oh yeah, that guy. I'll probably see him tomorrow...
 
Interesting. KWBU was known as "Radio Free Waco" when I was spinning wax for them. (And by "spinning wax," I mean playing their mp3s and CDs.)

You wouldn't happen to have an archived copy of your recording that you could post?
 
Awwww...sad times...although that would explain why Baylor no longer lets students have a radio station. :o(

[insert comments about rabbits and Mrs. Lilley here]
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#