Monday, September 24, 2007

 

Reflections on Mock Trial Try-outs


Saturday morning at 8 a.m., we had tryouts for this year's mock trial teams. 60 students showed up, and seven faculty coaches (Counseller, Davenport, Osler, Powell, Kathy Serr, Underwood, Wren).

What became immediately clear was that we have a very deep group this year. Because we have such a large class in Practice Court/PR (102 students) and auditioned second-years, it was the first time I had seen many of the people performing in court, and there were some real surprises-- that is, they were surprisingly good. We have three teams to fill, but could easily stock additional teams with good advocates.

Again, this confirmed my belief that we have the hardest working students in the law school world. Most of those who tried out are in the heart of PC and barely getting enough sleep, yet there they were bright and early on a Saturday, wearing a suit and ready to go. Most of those who tried out, unfortunately, won't get to be on a team, but all of them bumped up a notch in my estimation for putting in that effort.

Comments:
All I can say is that the entire team comprised of 2Ls is going to kick some serious arse. *Hint, Hint*
 
When will the teams be announced?
 
I remember trying out for mock trial. My favorite part was the fact that all I could see were Powell's eyes glaring at me over his boots, which were resting on the jury bar, and occasionally he would chuckle. What fun!

I've also had the pleasure of being coached by Osler and Counselor, and all I can say is that if you end up on either one of their teams then you can look forward to learning a lot, laughing a lot, and winning a lot (at least that was my experience). I also had the pleasure of being on a team with D-port, and with him you can look forward to a lot of lokes about his hair and his love life (at least that was my experience).
 
Sorry to post off-topic, but this poor, sleep deprived PC student is wondering if Blog Master Osler (or some one else bloggingly inclined) could come up with a sort of "Help Wanted" blog for P.C.ers looking for witnesses?
I think that might be better than the harrass-people-in-the-hallway method now in use...
 
Sadly, this is too true.
 
You pansy PC'ers... always looking for someone else to do your legwork. I remember when I was in PC, Underwood not only made us find out own witnesses, he'd tell us they had to be a certain height, hair color, etc (to fit the case)


seriously though - if you need some witness suggestions... Try the undergrad pre-law club, honors societs (phi kappa) or debate team.

Usually those people are masochistic enough to volunteer... plus, they actually get a kick out of being part of the process
 
ooooh, I remember the day I tried out. That was some pressure! I also remember the day Flo tried out. She did so good! GD3 was a great partner, by the way!!
 
HH-- Good idea. I wonder how I could make that work?

Anon, 10:31-- that's not really my call. It has to be by the end of the week, though.
 
what's up with letting 2L's try out? What's up with trying out for mock trial and not just moot court teams, period? I remember not getting selected, then single handedly beating in big trial (Not bragging- my PC partner is now making more $$ than me on the poker tour)two students of the opposite gender that were selected to the gender-balanced mock trial team.

Then as a 2nd year atty having gotten 2 defense verdicts in 2 attempts in district ct. civil jury trials, winning my 1st 5th circuit appeal, and recalling, with amusement, the fact that I was once upset at not ever having been selected for any Baylor teams.

Have heart- those of you unselected... a Baylor degree is actually worth something, and ironically it makes you equipped to overcome grade deflation and Baylor law school politics.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#