Thursday, September 13, 2007

 

Poseur, Lou Reed both improve my day...


I had a 2.5 hour drive this morning, and "Walk on the Wild Side" made it much better. I listened to the song several times, and noticed things I hadn't heard before. The bass is great-- it's the lead instrument, which is rare. I'm still singing "doot, da-doot, da-doot..."

Then, in PR this morning/afternoon (it's that kind of class), I called on Poseur. Actually, I didn't call on him; he volunteered his opinion, which was contrary to the consensus of the rest of the class (and still possibly correct). He seemed to be having so much fun (really) that I let him explain the next case, and he seemed to enjoy that, too-- and actually understood it. Stuff like that does make my day much better.

Pictured above: Poseur walking on the wild side.

Comments:
And I was really hoping to get that case that he talked about.

-Mr. Davenport
 
I'm contrarian by nature. I don't like it when we're all sit around being warm and fuzzy. I even took the questionable ethics path in the PR class, which I thought was a risky tact, but come on. I knew people were thinking it.

And I always enjoy a good divorce case. I'm the class divorce expert. It was fun answering the easiest question ever:

"He was hiding his assets."
"Why would he want to do that?"
"Ummm.... because he hates his ex-wife."

Also, I'm flattered to ever be compared to Lou Reed. Walk On the Wild Side is a great song, which inspired the most intentionally unlistenable album ever, Metal Machine Music. It is rumored that not even Lou Reed has listened to the album all the way through -- a two record album of nothing but guitar feedback.
 
Osler! You're a big liar!

This is not something you realized this morning. I know this because in 1983, you told me that. We were sitting by Crim Dell at about 2 am after the Pi Phi dance. I wasn't your date (she drank too much), I was just a tipsy happy senior who followed some silly sophomore to Crim Dell in the middle of the night. But I remember I was holding my shoes in my hand and you were doing that bass line and tugging on the hem of my green dress and talking about it like it was very important. So, I still remember that even though you probably don't, and I'm 46 years old and happily married.
 
I thought Lou Reed was in the pretentious twit category in 1983 and I still think so now. One of those guys who want to do songs with "meaning."

Poseur doesn't seem like that at all. I have him stereotyped as more along the lines of the MC5.

If I had more time, I'd search the Web for stories about the bar fight Lou Reed had with David Bowie at about that time. Lots of flapping and slapping, I'd guess.

Sweet Jane does rock, however.
 
I *LOVE* the MC5. Wayne Kramer is way cooler than Lou Reed.

I do like songs with "meaning" but I also like it dripping with irony or sarcasm. So, U2 is too earnest and now trying too hard to be ironic. Pavement is cooler because they come by irony honestly.

Zurich is stained.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#