Saturday, September 29, 2007

 

Location, Location, Location...


One of the pleasures of going to Beatnix this week was seeing one of our July graduates, Evan Simpson. There are a lot of things to admire about Mr. Simpson, but one of them is his obvious bravery.

And not just any type of bravery, but the type that leads one to sit in the center of the first row in Practice Court. Evan spent two quarters about four feet from the PC profs., and it seemed to have no adverse affect on him. I know that he got called on quite often, and his location had a lot to do with that.

For those of you that have never been through the experience, there are many theories about various pieces of "real estate" in practice court. Some think the back is best, others off to the side. Some think the key is to avoid sitting next to people who don't do the reading, and still others believe there is no good spot. Nevertheless, people stake out their seats at 6 am on the first day of class.

Personally, I keep track of who I call on, so I spread it around. I do call on some people more than others. Here's what I do-- when I call out a case and pause to let people find it, I scan for my explainer. What do you think I look for?

Comments:
I think you look for me.
 
I think you look for Kristy Ballard
 
Do you look for someone who looks at you or someone who looks away?
=)
 
Someone who looks awake, interested and maybe hasn't spoken in class yet? I know that you generally don't let a confused or disagreeing look pass by unnoticed, which is good.
 
I think you look for a worried expression, lots of page turning and a great fixation on the text before them. By the way, I am back from dead bloggers list. Now that I know all there is to know about the law, I can get back to what I really love....blogging.
 
you look for a person who is not looking down at the case, usually someone who is looking at you
 
You aren't mean enough to call on the ones that have tears in their eyes. But not naive enough to call on the alert kid who would raise their hand if it wouldn't get them publicly shunned. Someone in the middle between utterly devastated and overly prepared. I personally have been both on different days, but generally stay somewhere in the acceptable to call on range.
 
I really don't know. However, whenever you are in need of "satan's lawyer" Poseur is up to the task. Although, I hear he's a wee bit busy right now trying some white collar bribery case. Satan will have to wait his turn. His retainer ran out a while ago.

Love,
Matt
 
If it's a divorce case, Baker.
 
I am the class expert on both divorces and being evil. You're welcome, everyone.

On ethics problems, just ask: What Would Poseur Do? And do the opposite.
 
Back in the Muldrow ("Prince of Darkness") days, I sat next to my PC partner. Lucky for me, he ended up on the Mock Trial team. Prior to his making the team, I got the "Msssss. Logue, your father would be -ashamed- of you" lecture. After he made the team, we seemed uniquely immune. Couldn't get me without getting his star player.

As an aside, my partner never intended and never has practiced law. He went to law school to go into the Foreign Service, where he has been the last 20 years. Bogota, Tokyo, Beijing, Bangkok, and now back to Beijing just in time for the Olympics.

Kat in the CSO
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#