Saturday, September 22, 2007

 

Having a great job is a wonderful thing


I first started thinking about being a law prof when I was in law school myself. I saw those men and women, and they seemed genuinely happy; laughing with one another or talking earnestly to students. They did not have the stress I saw in other people at work, unless they were rushing off to catch a plane to some intriguing speaking engagement.

Of course, I did suspect that there was some secret dark side-- that there was a painful part of the whole thing that we could not see. Maybe I was right about that, since the often-tense search for tenure at Yale could be cutthroat. Generally, though, now that I see it from the other side, I was correct in thinking it must be great thing to do with your life. I can't imagine a better job in the whole world.

One of the best aspects of being a prof. is that you are in your prime in your 40's, 50's, & 60's-- still in the middle of what counts. It is really the opposite of being a great athlete, where things fade about that time. Of course, one is not exclusive of the other, and it would be a wonderful thing to be a fine athlete and then a fine professor. Many on our faculty have done exactly that: Guinn, Rogers, Serr, and Ryan were all star athletes in college.

I have a lot to be thankful for, and the vocation that found me is one of the most important.

Comments:
I think you also get this false sense of not really aging because you are constantly around young people who have their whole lives ahead of them. Some of that excitement about what can yet be possible is catching.

Also, like the Sisyphean picture. Sisyphus rolled the rock up hill and watched in roll down over and over again.

Nonetheless, Camus says we must imagine sisyphus happy!
 
That picture is actually taken in the New York Subway, in the garment district, I think. I was waiting for a train and couldn't resist taking the photo.
 
Star athletes????

I beg to differ!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#