Thursday, September 20, 2007

 

A Book I Will Purchase and Read


On the flight back from L.A., I read a glowing review of Jack Goldsmith's new book, The Terror Presidency. Prof. Goldsmith and I went to law school together (he graduated a year ahead of me), and I remember him as being a very, very smart guy-- the type of person who always had a great insight that didn't devalue others' views. The book is a memoir of his time in the White House legal office. Prof. Goldsmith is a forthright conservative, and his take on what has happened in the Bush White House is a nuanced critique of the very defined political ideals that have directed that administration. Specifically, the Bush White House (primarily through the office of VP Cheney) has stuck to a theory of "unitary" presidential power that has influence both the President's decisions and the areas he has chosen to focus on while in office.

I tried to find the book at DFW, but I'll probably just buy it on Amazon.

Comments:
Oh, great. Of course I learn about this book right as I'm about to finish my paper on executive power and the war on terror.
 
Tom--

They can send it to you overnight, or you can get it at Barnes & Nobles... it really sounds great.
 
Although, its not like I'd have time to read it. I've barely glanced at the problem for the mock trial try-out on saturday, so I'm a bit behind...
 
I'm SURE there was a stack of these books right next to the latest by James Patterson and Nicholas Sparks' most recent work at the DFW bookstore.
 
IPLG--

You were at DFW?
 
There was a whole stack at the counterfeit bookstore at Muhammed Murtala International Airport in Lagos. Only 25 cents, plus a $30 "facilitating payment" to get a copy.
 
Who is/was Muhammed Murtala?
 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murtala_Mohammed
 
Dude, I think I've donated about 6 inches of shoe leather to DFW over the years, seeing as one must stop there in order to get to El Paso, not to mention Waco. Its also been a way station on trips to numerous other places, from San Franciso to Sacramento and more.

I think I bought at least one of the Harry Potter books at DFW's fine bookstores.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#