Sunday, September 30, 2007

 

Back to DC for the Sentencing Smackdown


I'm back in DC for the incredible Supreme Court doubleheader in Gall and Kimbrough on Tuesday. For those of you who don't fanatically follow the Court's sentencing jurisprudence, Gall addresses the question of whether a large variance from the sentencing guidelines requires extraordinary circumstances, and Kimbrough addresses whether a sentencing judge can vary from the guideline's 100:1 ratio between powder and crack cocaine simply because she disagrees with it. I'm personally invested in the latter question, since I personally lost the issue in five circuits and now I'm hoping for redemption.

Two of my partners in writing the Kimbrough brief for the federal defenders, Matt Acosta and Dustin Benham, arrive tomorrow. The plan is to go to the arguments, then have lunch at Kinkead's with IPLawGuy, Ron Fournier, and Rick Schmitt, who is the D.C. political writer for the L.A. Times. After that, we are going to meet with Judge Sessions for a bit to talk about what is up at Baylor Law.

For now, though, I am relaxing at the home of IPLawGuy (pictured here), enjoying a very nice evening.

Comments:
No, I am NOT pictured there. My car is, however. The fellow driving is now the Development Director at a substance abuse clinic. The guy holding the keg (Prof. Osler's Big Brother in our fraternity) is now a bigtime lobbyist, after 20 years on Capitol Hill, including time with Texas Legend Tom Delay.

The guy sitting next to him on the hood has some mysterious job with "the army" that takes him overseas all the time and the guy on the back of the car is Fat Kenny. He set the float on fire later that day.

I'm not in the photo because I took it.
 
Good luck, and enjoy lunch & the visiting.

That is my favorite recycled photo, because the guy holding the keg looks so SASSY! I always thought it was Osler.

See yall next weekend!
 
Best of luck and keep us updated!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#