Thursday, August 30, 2007

 

Reading Comprehension Test, # 2!


Recently I received the following personal message via email. A short comprehension test follows the message. Each question is worth 4 points, and this exam will comprise 16% of your grade for the quarter:

Dearest in heart,

I really don't mean to bother you. But it is urgent and very important at this point that I contact you. Let me quickly introduce myself. I am princess Angela Willie. The former wife to late prince Duke Willie. I am 26 years old and I have a daughter who is 5 years old. My late husband was the prince of Buake,a town in Ivory Coast where I lived with him until his death in February 13th 2006. My late husband was a carefree, open-minded and considerate person which I believed contributed largely to his death. He never withheld these qualities from his subjects. The people he ruled. This is why it was easy for him to be poisoned. His death was suspected to have been carried out by one of his subjects. My husband called me in his palace one faithful Friday afternoon. He told me of the money (9.5 million us dollars) he deposited in a security company here in Abidjan. The capital city of Ivory Coast West Africa. He told me this exactly 3 months before his death. As if he knew he was going to die. He put the money in a box and deposited the box with a
bank, claiming they were royal costumes. Now after my husband's death. His kinsmen and his immediate family are after my life. They want to kill me and inherit my husband's wealth. Since I don't have a male child who can ascend to the throne.

No one knows about this deposit except the personal advicer to the prince.And I suspect he has something to do with his death. He is the one that told the kinsmen. That is why they are looking for me to get this documents. I succeeded in sneaking out of the palace at night. I abandoned every thing I labouerd for with my late husband in the palace but I took with me the documents of the money deposited with the security company I am hiding in a local guest house here in Abidjan. I need you to help me retreive this box and receive it in your country. I want to leave here and come over to your country to begin a new life away from this wicked people that killed my husband immediately you have received the money under your custody. I want you also to help me and invest this money in a good business over there. I will give you 15% of the money for your help.

Can I rely on you to help me?
I am urgently waiting for you.
Yours sincerely,
Angela

Test

1) What is Angela's job?

a) She is a wealthy financial planner
b) She works in a Dean's Office
c) She is a princess
d) She works in a bank

2) Why was Prince Willie killed?

a) He was open-minded
b) He was carefree
c) He was considerate
d) He was messing with the cable tv
e) He liked to knock down the homes of his subjects with his royal bulldozer

3) What is the form of government in the Ivory Coast?

a) Democratic republic
b) Monarchy run by the Duke Willie family
c) Rotates between military dictatorship, anarchy, and despotism
d) Controlled by the elves

4) Where did Prince Willie get the $9,500,000?

a) He stole it
b) Just kind of from being the Prince. You know. Like that.
c) From being really open-minded and considerate
d) Commodities trading

Comments:
Back wen I was in law skool all our tests were esay form. Nun of this Multapil choys stuff. What kind of two-bit law skool is Bailer anyway?
 
This is a trick question. I know this because I took Tax instead of Intellectual Property in law school. The fact is, any monies received through this transaction would be taxed severely. And normal lawyers don't know how to handle this sort of thing. Get a tax attorney NOW before its too late, or the IRS will make your life a living hell.
 
On a lighter note, the Princess is now single! Notify Swanburg!
 
I bet the Burning Man detainee had something to do with this, or Senator Craig. Maybe the money is stashed in that 1987 Sentra. Hmmmm....Sounds like a great scenario for PC.
 
The Princess is trying to take advantage of the, such as, US Americans, which is why we need to help with the education in the Iraq and to make a better world for the [children].
 
1. c
2. a
3. b
4. b

Do I pass? Am I now eligible to be W's next AG?
 
SW,

To be Bush's next AG, you need to be in favor of:

lowering taxes in Duke Willie-land as an incentive for trade,

increasing the national government's role in the lives of individuals, and

be able to mention Duke Willie Land as a member of "coalition forces" in Iraq with a straight face.

If your law degree is from a hippie school though, forget it. Or a state school that doesn't allow God in the classroom.
 
Boy, that is about the most inventive one of those letters I've ever seen. I especially like that it happened on "one faithful night." That could be interpreted all sorts of ways.
 
Oops, sorry; it was "one faithful Friday afternoon." Those Friday afternoons are so dependable, aren't they?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#