Saturday, August 18, 2007

 

It's time for some appreciations...



As I readjust to Waco and get my game face ready for class (I'm going for kind of a Bill Romanowski persona this year), it's a good time to list some appreciations:

1) A Great Job

There are a lot of things to love about teaching, but one of them is that when you get a vacation it is actually a vacation. Nobody is trying to desperately reach you, you don't feel guilty for missing things at work-- provided you aren't behind on things, you can let you mind go with you to the woods. In my old job (Assistant U.S. Attorney) that was never true. Now I have the pleasure of coming back to town, pressing the message button on the phone, and hearing "You have no new messages..."

2) Baylor Law Students

When I am far from Texas, people often ask me about my job or Baylor. My answer is always the same-- that we have the hardest-working, best-prepared students anywhere. When I am talking to other teachers, they nod appreciatively, knowing how important that is. It isn't that it makes things easier; it's that it makes it better for the teacher because we can start a discussion with common knowledge. So, thanks, hard-working Baylor people.

3) Fellow Baylor Bloggers

I'm kind of addicted to the Bar Mate Baylor sports blog. Those guys know what they are doing. Plus, Poseur has proven to have staying power and strong writing; Swanburg will be fun to follow as he debauches the B-School, and C. Pankratz always gives me something to think about. I check these three every day. I think we might need some new blood though-- if you have though about starting a Baylor blog, this is the time. Let me know if you do, and I will toss you a link.

4) Friends Abroad (ie, outside Waco)

IPLawGuy and the CL's sent me some photos of their good times in DC, and it reminded me how lucky I am to have friends like these. Not that I got to go...

5) Faith Heroes

I'm not someone who worships or follows any other person, but I'm always learning from those around me, especially those who provide inspiration and challenge. Sometimes this is a colleague, sometimes a student, sometimes a friend or fellow worshiper. I'm always learning and hopefully growing my faith, and much of this comes from interaction with those around me who also take this journey seriously.

Comments:
Thanks so much, Razor. We too reads your high-brow blog with mucho due diligence and good faith.

Pro Texana,

Red
 
THe CLs and Iplaw Too bad they are your ONLY non Baylor people who read your bog....
 
Not true, I have counted at least 3 or 4 other non-Baylorites on this blog. (actually more) You're forgetting Sleepy Walleye, for instance and several others.

There was at least one person who didn't know they had Starbucks in Waco!

And I know for a fact Tall Tenor went to W&M with me and the Prof., not Baylor. He's been to several schools, but not Baylor.

What I want to know is if he and I are the only other W&M grads on this or if there are others lurking about.
 
Exactly....
 
Swanburg in B-school is going to be verrrry interesting. I think he will have a whole new groove.
 
I'm still stuck on the Bill Romanowski persona. That sounds pretty scary.
 
Just don't go and give a Bill Romanowski hello - spitting in one's face.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#