Wednesday, August 15, 2007

 

Back To School!


It's hard to leave the woods of Osler/Sleepy Walleye Island,and now I am on the long trek back. This morning, I'm in Lawrence, Kansas, which is the home of the University of Kansas. It's a pretty good town, though I keep expecting to see former Baylor Law standout Josh Zive toddling down the street in full Jayhawk gear. I now have been to every Big Twelve town except Lincoln, Nebraska, Stillwater, Oklahoma, Columbia, Missouri, and Manhattan, Kansas (hmmm... maybe that's too many to say "all except..."). Here's how I would rate them in terms of my own first impression, based on fun factor, beauty and scent:

1) Austin. If I had known about Austin in high school, I might have gone to UT.
2) Boulder. A beautiful, fun, goofy place. Plus, Mork and Mindy lived there.
3) Lawrence. A great downtown and old homes.
4) Bryan/College Station. I am kind of fond of A & M, which defines the town.
5) Norman. The name still cracks me up...
6) Lubbock. Has a fun part of town, but not pretty.
7) Waco. Not a great first impression, but it does become lovable.
8) Ames It smelled terrible!

Comments:
There you go with your anti-Iowa thing again. No more pork chops on a stick for you.
 
You can find the likes of Josh Zive in Washington DC - he works for Bracewell out there.
 
Doesn't Zive work in DC these days?
 
Leaving tomorrow for Dead Camper Island. I can hardly wait.
 
Osler the Yalie is a closeted Agric? Perish the thought! You must have experienced some sort of Road to Damascus conversion in College Station to rate it higher than Waco.

Our concern for you grows, Good Professor.

Also, Stillwater is basically God's gift to humanity.
 
You really have to visit Stillwater sometime. Great college atmosphere. I loved going to undergrad there. Lots 'o cheap beer, which made it even better!
 
The Road to Damascus? Ha ha, I guess that would be Highway 6!

I am a tad offended (but in no way surprised) that the Professor said that Texas a&m "defines" us. There is an exciting, beautiful, seedy underbelly of B/CS, and the aggies are really just for show... do not be fooled. Still, Austin (and THE University of Texas) is placed rightly at No. 1, so I will not hold a grudge.
 
I wouldn't exactly say that Stillwater, Oklahoma is God's gift to humanity, but you can find a big plate of cheese fries at Eskimo Joe's which is pretty good.
 
Zive almost posted a response to your post, but he got sidetracked making a mix tape of the best Grateful Dead live performances from 75 to 80...he sends his hellos.

And, I can't believe you ranked College Station above Waco, and that you said you felt anything but disdain for that "university."
 
So glad you are back. Hope it was a good break for you.


As an outed 2%er, it's hard to imagine B/CS rated higher than Waco, although I spent most of my time in the Chicken or sleeping through 8:00 classes. Hello transfer! But I digress.

If the French come back, we need to have a serious "come to Jesus" talk. XO, Yer Pal, Mrs. CL
 
Quite fond of A&M?

Obviously you are not a farm animal. Or maybe you are. Depends on whether you like it.
 
I would never make a mix tape of Dead shows--it does a fundamental injustice to the integrity of each show.

Hope you are well, Prof. Osler.

I hope you had a beer from Free State Brewery while you were in Lawrence. I do miss Trujillos.

Rock Chalk
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#