Tuesday, July 10, 2007

 

The innovative student

I just posted the following over at Law School Innovation. The thoughts there, of course, largely reflect my experience with students at Baylor, who have created many good things at the school.

Thus far, most of the law school innovations we have discussed have been professor or dean initiated. However, it seems to me that many of the more significant innovations have been initiated by students-- those who demand a certain course, or start a new tradition at a school that connects to the discourse and learning that goes on there. Off the top of my head, I can think of quite a few types of innovations that are largely the creations of students, not faculty:

1) The multitude of new journals that sprout every year, almost always tracking a student interest.
2) The "Free Speech Wall" at Yale Law that plays a large role in nearly every debate that goes on there.
3) Lectures given at many schools, often by controversial figures, at the invitation of student groups.
4) The proliferation of blogs, even, which chronicle and sometimes promote the culture of a school.

There are many other examples, of course. Perhaps the broader lesson is that if we seek innovation, part of the project should be listening to and encouraging the voices of our students.

Comments:
Back in my day (ouch), I suggested to one of our profs that we needed a parallel practice court track for the transactional folks - every bit what practice court is, but geared to the realities of that side of the practice. Too many of my friends who had no interest in litigation could have been better served by such a program. But, then, I guess we can always ask why they came to Baylor in the first place. The answer I always got was "my scholarship."
 
Dude, I totally want a Free Speech Wall now.
 
I have a blogosphere question.
When is it too late to post a comment? Same day only? Does anyone else go back days at a time to catch up, or is it just me? Is there any consensus opinion Razorites? Does anyone care?

For some reason I feel it is imperitve that I express my agreement with Poseur that the picture is definitely Moby.
 
I think you have 24 hours to post a comment and expect anyone to read it. This is a presumption of reasonableness, not an absolute rule.

And I like anyone who agrees with me.
 
You can always comment on the most recent post as long as it's been up but once it's covered by more than one other, I agree with Baker, 24 hours is the practical limit.
 
I also read back a few days and catch up. I long ago gave up the idea that anyone was actually reading anything I have written so I post just when the mood strikes me no matter how late it is....or if it has anything to do with anything.

My husband is now into the haiku Friday thing and he writes them from like Thursday to Tuesday.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#