Thursday, June 07, 2007

 

Simple Wine for a Summer Meal



Summer's here, and in Texas June is the best month for a simple meal out on the deck or porch. I'm no wine expert, but I do have a few favorites I thought I might share. The two wines described below are good, not expensive, and pair very well with typical summer foods like fish and hamburgers. American wines are usually identified by the grape they are made from (ie, Chardonnay or Pinot Noir). French wines, however, are generally identified by the area or village they come from (for example, Champagne is an actually geographic region).

Great with Burgers: Beaujolais

Beaujolais is from Burgundy, and is made with the Gamay grape. It is a light-bodied fruity red and is often served slightly chilled. It's almost like Sangria at times, though less sweet. Every November a big hoo-ha is made about the "Beaujolais Nouveau" which is just-bottled wine rushed all over the world for a first taste of the vintage, but what you want is regular beaujolais (not labelled "Nouveau"), which is available at the larger H.E.B. stores for about $8-$10. There are three levels of perceived quality. Simple Beaujolais, then Beaujolais-Villages (from certain parts of the region), and finally Beaujolais from a specific town in the northern part of the region, such as "Morgan."

Great with Seafood: Vouvray

Vouvray is from the Loire valley in France, and is made from the Chenin Blanc grape. It is a slightly sweet white wine which makes for an interesting change from many American wines. It can be quite pleasant without food, but is another good picnic wine, or for the porch dinner. You can pick it up for about $8 at the larger H.E.B. stores. One caveat: Vouvray can vary quite a bit, so find a year and producer you like and stick to it.

Comments:
My favorite wines are Chilean reds. The best I've found is Veramonte's 2003 merlot. The 2004 Casa Lapastolle cabernet is also quite nice.
 
What! Wine recommendations on the Razor? ARe you sure this site isn't secretly owned by the French? Sacre bleu!
 
I'm just kidding. Beaujolais really is good with hamburgers. And I bet the Swiss don't know that, either.
 
Next week: Prof Osler reviews his favorite Fois Gras.
 
IPLG! I happen to know you have a special little place for wine in your house.
 
My fav wine is one that no restaurants ever have on their lists. But I like it..and I served it at my wedding, but it was a lunch wedding so I did not want a bunch of people getting all hammered and doing the chicken dance or whatever, so I just served White Zinfandel and my very fav wine...Piesporter. and instead of Champagne, Asti.

Let's face it I am a Girl Drink Drunk... the sweeter the better. So I don't get the appeal of the dry wines... but I have developed an appreciation for certain Cabernets because thet is what Bill drinks. I could never get a whole glass, but I drink some of his when he gets it. I really like it.. I will work my way up to an entire glass someday. But I am a cheap date so like one drink and I get all warm and sleepy. Or as Dorothy Parker would say: "One more drink, and I'll be under the host."

When they do not have piesporter, which they never ever do, I order this one German white that has 19 syllables and no consonants that starts with a G GERWERTZTRAMEINER? something like this.

My fav is Beringer White Zinfandel, because if it comes in a box, it HAS to be good.
 
True. Good cheese as well.

Don't mess with me though, or I'll write about the Chair wine.
 
OK Iplaw... Timne to talk about the Chair Wine. Spill it.
 
The chair wine... that's Spike's deal, not mine. I think it is horrible.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#