Tuesday, June 05, 2007

 

Scooter Libby-- The Federal Sentencing Guidelines Doing Exactly What They Do All The Time


Today Lewis ("Scooter") Libby was sentenced to 30 months in prison, which was within the guideline range. [Contrary to false reports such as this one, this is not the same "Scooter" who appeared on "The Muppet Show." That Scooter is pictured above, with Swanburg] Somehow, people find this sentence shocking. Driving in to work this morning, I heard Doug Berman being interviewed on NPR about the case, and he sounded very calm and matter-of-fact. However, everyone else sounded vaguely hysterical.

Am I missing something here?

Comments:
I'm hysterically pleased with the sentence, does that count?
 
While a witty retort might better my ego, nothing changes the fact I look better in glasses . . . or look like a Muppet . . . or still waive and high-five with reckless abandon.
 
I agree. Libby is a big boy. Even if some of the blame lies higher up than him, he knew what he was doing. The Watergate conspirators got some fairly long jail time, didn't they, and Libby's crime is perhaps worse.
 
Osler, what you're missing is the media's proposed ground for departure, Section 5K.12 (no underlying crime) -- whatever that means.

Yee, that's hysterical.
 
b I have no idea what you are talking about, as I am not a lawyer.. However I do know it has to be a crime somewhere that a grown man is named SCOOTER.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#