Tuesday, June 12, 2007

 

I thought the ending of the Sopranos was excellent!


I've been watching the Sopranos for nine and a half years now, and they came up with the perfect ending. Tony looks up, at something, we don't know what. There is danger all around, but somehow the family is still together.

The FBI agent was a compelling character in the last few episodes. My reading was that he was terribly frustrated by the change in his job once everything became about terrorism. Before that, he was able to pursue cases that had a beginning, a middle, and an end, with the defendant going to prison. In the new world of terrorism investigation, there was none of that-- just keeping tabs on shadowy figures. It was a subtle tale of the transition from crime-fighting to intelligence as the basic task of the Bureau. There is significant tension between those two roles-- as crime-fighters the goal is to stop people from doing bad things as soon as possible. With intelligence work, though, you watch people even as they do bad things, in order to gather more information.

Comments:
I think I too fall into the 13% or so who thought the end was fantastic.

So much American art is spoon fed. In life, what we may see as events that provide "closure" are totally illusory - life just goes on.
 
The best part is this way they can do sequels, a movie or more episodes when they're all broke in 6 years.
 
I am not sure I thought it was fantastic. BUT I knew it was going to turn out that way... I mean I knew that probably a few would die including Phil Leotardo, but in the end it would not be some dramatic showdown or whatever... you know? I mean I doubted he would ever be "flipped" or that he would die...


What I DID NOT get was the weird stuff at the end.... the onion rings or why they were at that dumb restaurant they had never been to before, or what was the deal with Meadow and her inability to parallel park and all of that.... it was kind of weird.

SO was the Uncle Junior thing right athte end... and then the DOn't Stop believin thing... I mean that is one of my favorite Journey songs... but I did notreally get that either. and then the DEAD ending thing...


and I cannot understand the cat staring at the pic of Christopher... or why Tony had to kill him at all I mean I know he was a screw up but he was one of my fav characters on that show.... hilarious actually. My fav line of the Sopranos ever was one time Christopher was late for a meeting at the Bada bing or someplace and they were all waiting for him.. They go "WHERE the f*** have you been?" and he replies...totally nonchalant...

"The highway was jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive..."
I died laughing at that one. OR after they killed either Ralphie OR that Ritchie Ap
rile and someone asked How did it go or whatever.... Christopher says:

"Well, let me put it this way, It will be a long time before I can eat sausage at Satriale's again...."

I also LOVED AJ's deveolpment at the end.. it was hilarious.

The only other thing I wish had been different is that I wish Carmela would have left TOny and gone to live in Italy with Furio.
 
I read the cut-to-black ending as the viewer getting wacked.

wjc
 
The cat was the spirit a Adrianna, I think!
 
ok they all ate the onion rings the exact same way.. what was that all about? and the parallel parking?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#