Tuesday, May 15, 2007

 

Water on Fire



About 1970, my dad and Sleepy Walleye's dad (and some other guys) had a great idea-- buy a cabin in one of the remotest parts of North America that you could still get to with a family. They found an old cabin in the Boundary Waters of Minnesota and Ontario, and a good part of our lives have been spent up there. Eventually, our two families bought a different cabin, and over the past several years we built a second cabin by ourselves from the ground up. It is in the middle of old growth forest-- there are huge trees and bear and moose. There is no electricity or running water, but it is the most luxurious place I can think of, if you consider quiet and wonderment and northern lights and a billion stars to be luxuries (and I do).

Now there is fire, 88,000 acres on fire, all over that area. We don't know the fate of our little cabins or the others on the lake.

Comments:
Don't worry. I know some guys that can help you rebuild if necessary. If your cabin is out of service for next summer, I'm sure you can come to ours--it's not that far north, but it'll do. Cheer up.
 
I'm thinking....if rebuilding is needed....summer work study project for Baylor Law Students.

Property, Labor, a little Contracts.

You would work in a lot of subject matter, and get a new cabin to boot. Credit hours would be determined by square footage, with a 1 Credit to 1000 sq. ft. ratio.

Think about it.
 
We all went up to Ely
On the Boundary Waters shoreline
Mark Osler and his Brother
Had the best place around
Some stupid with a flaregun
Burned the place to the ground.
 
Oh wow! I hope they are ok! What a loss that would be. Keep us updated!
 
Oh no- I went up there several years ago, and they had a huge fire that burnt 60K acres, I believe (back in 1995?). I hope they manage to salvage your cabin. If you need rebuilding- I will be more than willing to go do it in exchange for 12 credits- and a generous supply of fishing tackle, deet, Malkins jam, PB and bread (for lunch while fishing).
 
I would also like to offer my skills for the Rebuild Osler's Cabin If it Needs Rebuilding Project. I don't know much about carpentry, but I am an excellent chef de cuisine for hungry builders.
 
i hope it is all ok, Osler!!!!!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#