Sunday, April 08, 2007

 

Unitarian-Universalist Easter

I'm sure people expect me to go all Loco on the Unitarians given the title of this post, and the fact that Baptists tend to be a little critical of the Unitarians (and vice versa). However, after reading some of the things here, and having a discussion with my sister about her UU church, I do have a good memory to share.

Several years ago, I was church shopping. Sometimes I went to the Quaker Meeting in Ann Arbor or at Cranbrook, or to Metropolitan Methodist downtown, or to the Congregational-Baptist church I grew up in. However, I did have a "Church of Last Resort," which was the Unitarian-Universalist Church down the street, just a block and a half away. I thought of it as the Church of Last Resort not as any reflection on the place but because services didn't begin until very late (maybe about 11:15), so if I woke up very late, I could still make it.

To be honest, I could never really figure out what the U.U.'s were for, other than good sportsmanship and tolerance. Though, I have to say, for people who were so much about tolerance, nearly every sermon seemed to include a criticism of devout members of other faiths. Mostly, they seemed to be against things, like racism (right on!), and patriarchy (yeah!) and organized religion (huh?). It was refreshing that they weren't so certain about what God thought about every political question as some other churches I visited.

One Easter, I went to the local U.U. church (which was shaped like a big hat) because the son of a friend was going to be Christened. Well, not Christened, or blessed, but just kind of handled and fawned over, which was good in its own way. The sermon kind of lost me at times, but there was one great idea in there: The minister used the word "Easter" as a verb. That is, that we can be "Eastered" and resurrected from what we were, reborn. In my own mind, I put the Christian context back into it, and it's a great word.

I have been Eastered, too. Not by myself, but by Grace, by the grace of others and the Grace of God. It has been a wonderful gift.

Comments:
i went to a UU church once because my dad, a musician, was paid to play at the service with a dixie-land group. that was the whole service. well actually they lit a candle and then the group played.
 
I went to something like that once at the U.U. church-- it was "Jazz Vespers." The music was good. I didn't understand what the candle represented, though. Of course, I didn't ask, so I can't blame anyone for that.
 
I was "christened" or whatever in the Grosse Pointe Unitarian Church, right there on Maumee like in 1967. I went there forever and I still do not know what they were about... I remember "sermons" on like investing and all kinds of crazy things. The people were nice - they were thoughtful, intelligent,usually pretty well educated, always up for a good discussion and I found that they were open to a lot of new ideas. However, if you are searching for like something to follow, or some rules, or whatever, this is not it.

This is why I struggle to send Spencer through my church. I mean, Its a confusing issue. I think Bill and I need to find a place where we both will be comfortable... I have to look at the people I think. OR Bill can take Spencer to one church and I can go to the UU one alone. I do not mind doing that. OR maybe I will just go to the one we pick out for Spencer and you know... try to find a place for myself there. I mean if I was not socialized to believe in God, which I was not and do not, I doubt they are gonna make me wear a sign or something, right? I can still volunteer time and donate canned food and all of the stuff I did with the UUs - I mean I am Unitarian - We love everyone. I can hang the Methodists. Besides, I already know all of the songs.

Seriously I think it is important to find a community that we will feel good about being part of.
 
Tyd--

When you say you don't believe in God, does that mean you aren't sure whether or not God exists (rather than having the belief that God does NOT exist)? I think that agnostic position is pretty common, and most churches would love someone who was agnostic to become involved with her family. Over and over in the Gospels, it seems like there are mobs of people like that following Jesus around and he never once refused to teach them.

In fact, I would wonder about a church that did not make you and your family welcome at their services and activities as an agnostic, even if you were not of the beliefs that could let you be a member.
 
That's right up there with Serr's use of "tort" as a verb, e.g. someone torted me.
 
I believe God exists to other people, but I have tried to believe in it before and I never really could. I believe in SOMETHING.. like some kind of positive force in the universe or something... but its not the God that I guess you or others know. It is faceless, and sort of just....I don't know. Like for a while when I was a kid I thought the moon was God.

Not to sound too OPRAH or something here but I do believe in being positive and trying to see the best in life and in people. I have tremendous hope that things can always get better, and that there are few problems that do not have a solution, and that if you just try your best to treat yourself and others with respect and kindness, and try your best in life, you can accomplish a lot. The best thing is to be gracious and engender yourself and the world with hope if you can.
 
Shaped like a big hat...so the Hat and Boots in Seattle is actually a UU church, not an old gas station? PA.

--Stef the Pef still can't sign in. :o(
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#