Tuesday, April 24, 2007

 

Totally True Secrets About Prof. Bates


We've gotten to that part of the year where the professors start to disperse-- Prof. Powell just went by with a hand cart, Prof. Featherston flew out earlier, and on Sunday I am off to New York to finish working on my book.

Then there is Prof. Bates. I had dinner with him on Sunday, and then he flew out to London yesterday. Now that he is out of the country, I can reveal some amazing facts about Prof. Bates:

1. No matter how hard you press her, Bates' Mom insists that he was a "great kid" and that "he never got into any trouble." Hmmm.

2. He is an expert in medieval England, and was pursuing a Ph.D. at Columbia before ditching it for law school.

3. If he covers a test for you, the protocol is that you are supposed to bring him back a t-shirt from wherever you went. These shirts comprise much of his wardrobe.

4. He is a master of phone technology-- for example, he has a special chip he puts in his phone so it will work in England. However, he never answers his phone.

5. His favorite restaurant is the "Squat and Gobble" in San Francisco.

Comments:
Re: #2. This is my favorite, because he is the only person I've ever met who knew what I was talking about when I name-dropped Lacy Baldwin Smith.
 
I KNEW the "Bates in Bondage" photo would show up on your favorites list.
 
Yes, this is without a doubt my favorite re-used photo
 
Ok, is it just me, or does he bear a striking resemblace to the DeLorean-pimping professor guy in Back to the Future? His character name escapes me....
 
Doc Brown? All I no is that Bates was the best hockey heckler in Minnesota, and he knows what the Goldy Shuffle was...
 
Was his mom the one who had the thing with Mr. Loaf?
 
He does kind of look like he could be the child of Doc Brown and that school marm lady from BTTF III...hmm.

He also LOVES Article 2 of the UCC like Osler loves the Sentencing G-lines.

Bates absolutely rocks.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#