Saturday, April 28, 2007

 

I'll admit it-- I'm kind of giddy!



You know, it is not everyone where you can take his wallet (for pedagogical purposes) and he's ok with it, but Mr. Indermill is that guy. I really liked having Goose in class and on my team-- he's going to be a great lawyer. Also, Reno Amy took this photo. Further, affiant sayeth not.

I'm giddy about commencement, but also about the Sentencing Commission lowering the sentencing guidelines for crack. After all these years, I feel like the dog who finally caught a car. [Disclaimer-- I'm not claiming any connection whatsoever between anything I've done and their decision, and I really don't care why they did it, I'm just happy they did]. You can read here the comments of uber-sentencing-blogger Doug Berman of Ohio State, with whom I have collaborated over the past year in crack cases in the First, Second, Third, Eighth, and Ninth Circuits, and in the U.S. Supreme Court. I think he is as giddy as I am. The Yahoo story is here.

To understand why we are so goofy about this, you have to know how hard it is to get any political body to examine sentences as too harsh. No one with political impulses wants to risk being labeled the "friend of the drug dealer," which means that the rachet on criminal sentences almost always goes in only direction-- towards longer sentences.

You don't win many swimming upstream, so I am going to savor this.

I take very seriously that part of Micah 6:8 (quoted twice at commencement) that urges us to temper justice with mercy, and that is part of the reason I feel so strongly about this.

Comments:
Congratulations to all of the graduates!!!!

I cannot understand how to work this stupid new blackberry. I am going to go bang my head against the wall some more.

I HAD a Palm Pilot that was so easy compared to this. I wanted a phone and a palm together so I got this. so far I can answer the phone and play tetris.

Tomorrow we might drive to Seattle, because Bill has to do some biz there Monday, and I need some stuff at IKEA, and the one here will not open until June. Plus it will be nice to get out of this hotel, and into a different hotel....

My TIVO was blown up,. but this hotel does has pay per view movies. SO far I have watched The Queen, DreamGirls, and Music and Lyrics. Oh and Winnie the Pooh about 6 times... Spencer is a creature of habit...

I think the stress of this is really getting to all of us. Today, we traded in the rental PACIFICA station wagon thing for a van like we had. Spencer felt more at home in it . He said to us after dinner, when we got back to the hotel, "Mommy.. Open my FREAKING door."

We try not to swear, so we are guilty of saying that sometimes... especially this past week. We tried not to laugh but Bill and I were both laughing so hard. ANy other week. probably not. but this week....

We are getting a new van this week, like the one we had, because they totaled both cars. I have to say I am GLAD to be rid of the Expedition. I want to get a Prius for the second car. We sort of need the van for the business and kid stuff but the second car will be a hybrid for sure.


I hope you all will be able to stand me now that my house blew up. You are all very brave, enduring my job search, my employment with the Seven Habits guy, my house renovations, Habib, Spencer and Donut, my religious quest, and now this...


Osler, congratulations on your crack thing.
 
It was a great day. I'm keeping this picture for a long time. Reno Amy laughs.
 
tyd--enjoy the IKEA. 'Tis a big one. My dad used to work a block away from there, so they always had to deal with IKEA folks on their parking lot when IKEA had a sale. Crazy place (and hey, that's Renton, not Seattle, haha...erm, I used to live there). Oh boy.

And hooray crack! (Just to tie in the original blog post.) :o)
 
I love Ikea but since i have no house there is not a lot for me to buy there.. However Spencer is in the IKEA Kids club and when the kid turns three years old, they send him a free IKEA Bike Helmet. Actually they get a postcard and you have to take it there. SO we are going to get the bike helmet.

it is night time and i am STILL trying to figure out the blackberry. the bb software stuff slows down my computer but since i have to go make all of Spencer's lunches for his week at preschool right now I do not have time to sit on the phone with the BB tech support.

I hate laptops, but now I have one too since my computer was pretty much killed. I am getting better at typing on the teeny weeny keyboard. We did not go to Seattle after all, we will go next weekend. We have too much stuff to do this weekend before we can go. Hopefully they will find us a rental house soon, that takes 140 lb dogs. We are supposed to take care of the car situation this week too. We have to meet with the the structural engineer, our attorney and I think I have an MD appt as well this week. maybe we can get out of here on Friday.
 
Tyd -

On the east coast, we call them crackberries! Enjoy! Don't let Osler catch you though!

Good luck with the hybrid, rental house and the big pooch!

"Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny!"
 
Osler has a thing against Blackberries?

i just ogt it because I had to get a new phone, even though I liked my old one.. and I wanted a pda phone combo. I should have bought a TREO (and left T mobile for a different carrier) but we were in the store and the guy was like OH its just like a TREO and of course being in the shell shocked state I have been in I believed him.

I like it OKAY. Why does Osler hate them? I hate it because in order to use it I have to take all of my crap from the palm software on the old crappy computer and transfer it to OUTLOOK onto the new computer. and I got this useless software with it and blah blah blah

GAWD even I AM sick of hearing myself type. tommorrow the structural engineer will come to the house while Spencer is in preschool He will decide if the house should be demolished, which everyone so far thinks it should.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#