Sunday, April 22, 2007

 

Friendship and Change


It's commencement time, and next week a good and strong group will go their separate ways. I know them well enough that I have seen some of the deep friendships they have developed over the past years. Will those friendships survive?

They will if you want them to. Friendship is like anything else worthwhile-- it takes some work, especially over a distance. IPLawGuy is one of my oldest and best friends, and that is in large part because he and I have been willing to put in some effort... shoot, the guy has been to visit Waco several times, and that's not true of many people. It was twenty-five years ago that we met as students, and that's a long time... there are a few other people here that I have known for that long as well, like the Sleepy Walleye and a few others. Those friendships have been a wonderful gift, one of the best parts of my life, adding a richness and depth to all the rest that has happened because it has been shared. When I hope things for my students, that is one of the blessings I wish for them.

Comments:
Is that IP LAW GUY and Family?
 
Maybe in about 20 years or so! I still have all my hair and my daughter is 6 mos. old.

Iplawwife could fit in with those women, though!
 
Uh-oh-- that's Eric Porterfield, I think. He's about 35ish.
 
I had people who stood up in my wedding at age 33 who I met in 1st grade, 7th grade, summer camp, college and adult life. Friendships live in your heart. You can keep them up Do not worry! I DO!!!!
 
I agree with you-friendhsip cannot be kept alive by one alone. It is a coordination, a mutual reciprocating process,that requires hard work and perseverance.Friendships are divine gifts.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#