Monday, April 02, 2007

 

Baylor Law is HOT!



Here's the thing with Baylor Law: The students work incredibly hard, and get a great education. My job is made much better by the fact that the students take their studies seriously. When I call on a student in class, I can have a conversation where we are both informed on the subject, and that is because they have done the reading and briefed the case. Sometimes I talk to friends who teach at other schools (where students are allowed to "pass" on the reading), and they envy my opportunity to teach people who care enough to prepare.

One problem is that this quality is great for preparing actual lawyers, but does not show up often in rankings, other than in the bar pass rate (which is great here). I really regret that, too, when I see the importance put on rankings in the legal academy. People outside Baylor do not know how good we are.

Except, that is, when someone like Danny Back or Jen Seale comes to their town and kicks their ass. Danny, Josh Hedrick, Dan Stokes, James Williams and Lauren Davis just won the National AAJ mock trial tournament (formerly the ATLA tournament), beating 240 teams. It's our second championship in that competition in the past three years. I'm proud of them, and proud of this school.

Comments:
Money quote:

"People outside Baylor do not know how good we are. Except, that is, when someone like Danny Back or Jen Seale comes to their town and kicks their ass."

-B
 
Or a Baylor Law alumna gets on "The Bachelor."
 
HUH????? WHICH ONE was on THe BACHELOR????


Seriously, Osler.. DO not feel bad. I am sure it is a GREAT school and you guys really ROCK at Kitten ball.
 
I LOVE graduating with the National Champ class. How cool is that?! 26 days!
 
Danny Back rocks! I wish I could have been on his team more than that one time--mainly because I wish I would have gotten to know him sooner.
 
Oh I LOVE Beeker! It makes me happy to see the muppets on the Razor. The Muppet Movie is one of my favorites, I love the Steve Martin cameo.

If I had not majored in beer drinking/nursing (not hang overs) in college, perhaps I could attend Baylor Law. And get my own personal Intern. Who does laundry. And Whatnot....

BTW, your hairdo bears a resemblance to Animal, my favorite Muppet. But you could use some highlights for summer....Call me.
 
Look for Alexis tonight on "The Bachelor."
 
alexis is!! watch it tonight! i so heart that girl!!
 
Ack! Where did you get that picture of me and that one experiment from my nineth grade science class! I thought I paid the guy off! Oh well. That's why I'm not in science now.
 
She's my sleeper pick on that show. She got practically no face time and no interviews, but still got a rose after night #1. She seems to have a good strategy--let all the other girls screw up first, then make the move.
 
Rankings are overrated, and 2012 needs to focus on bringing kittenball back instead of kissing up to the USN&WR.

I'm telling you, kicking ass at kittenball is great preparation for the real world.

--Memorial Intramural Kittenball Captain '04

P.S.: I'm totally not biased, I swear.

P.P.S.: I don't know if it's a good sign or a bad sign, but I accidentally caught a pair of kittens doin' it next to my car when I went for dinner tonight. Oh dear. *blushes*
 
Wow. How soon they forget. This is not a photo of some muppet, its a photo of that guy.. the one who used to blog ... and ran for something at BLS.

I never met him, but we sure did hear a lot about him. Never did figure out what his name really was, though.

Fame sure is fleeting.
 
It was a fun trip. Danny was very very shocked by the random debauchery that was going on all around us on Bourbon street. Joe "Slick" Rivera went toe to toe with Donald the Stone faced BlackJack dealer, while Fowler and Lewis did their part by contributing to the New Orleans rebuilding effort. (via hefty contributions to Harrah's) Kaye did her very first Jello shot, and the Reverend Matt Cole spent time in bed with 3 grown men wearing feather boas. Lauren brought the fire and thunder down upon the coach from Syracuse, and Josh reduced their expert witness to a quivering bowl of pudding. Casie made friends with our cab driver, and James made friends with the peons.

Professor Wren and I were the only ones that behaved ourselves at all times. I swear.

Dan
 
Not to mention she carried herself quite well...while the other girls were throwing themselves at him.
 
I was ALSO in nursing school for a while!!!!!!! I got all the way thru Med Surg 2 and all three Pharmacology classes and decided it was not the career for me...

WOW!. Mrs. CL We have a lot more in common than just potty training, wearing high heels to Starbuck's, and our passion for kittenball.
 
P.S. I TIVO'd the Bachelor and watched it last night. I also see her as a contender, for the same reasons.
 
Woo Hoo!!!! Congrats!!!!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#