Saturday, March 31, 2007

 

A Third Consecutive Self-Aggrandizing Post!




Tomorrow morning, I'm giving a talk at Seventh and James Baptist Church on the Ten Commandments and the Constitution. My thesis is that one, but not the other, is a significant influence on American law and culture. The answer might surprise you! Sadly, I have been asked not to perform a liturgical dance to further my point.

If you want to come (and I hope you do), come to Seventh and James Baptist Church about 9:30 tomorrow morning. I will be speaking to the "Bowen Class," which meets at room 204 of the Melton Building (on the second floor of the building next to the sanctuary-- there will be a nice lady in the courtyard to help if you need directions). The following should address some frequently-asked questions:

FAQ section

Q: Where is the church located?
A: You would be surprised how often I am asked this. As one might expect, Seventh and James is located at the corner of Seventh Street and James Street, on the edge of the Baylor campus.

Q: How long will this thing drag on?
A: About an hour. If you would like, stick around for the Palm Sunday service, which will consist mainly of the Sanctuary Choir and Orchestra performing Bach's Cantata #4. Seriously, the music is awesome.

Q: What should I wear?
A: Most people fall somewhere in the "smart casual" range. I will, of course, be wearing my professor costume (which is more like "smart casuality").

Q: Are you holding yourself out as an expert in everything? You seem a little full of yourself lately.
A: Well, they asked me to talk about this, and I find it interesting. However, I'm no expert in either the Old Testament or Constitutional Law, so I would view everyone in the audience as a peer with an ability equal to mine to understand these documents.

Q: Who will win the final four?
A: Ohio State.

Comments:
You forgot the most important question!:

--Will palm fronds suitable for smacking friends and family mrmbers be distributed, or does your church hand out palms in the form of a cross? I always am disappointed by the latter. It was fun to whip the long fronds at my brothers during those long Palm Sunday services
 
GO UCLA!
 
In Texas, this is "gun Sunday," and everyone just brings a gun.

[to my Baylor students: I am kidding. Please do NOT bring a gun to church. Please.]
 
Good Luck on your speech tomorrow Osler!!!

I cannot remember what the Unitarians do on Palm Sunday since I was always in Youth Group on that day. They probably sat around debating stuff, like usual. But then, this is the church that has no church in the summer and when they come back they have "apple and cheese communion" to welcome themselves to the start of a new year.

I know I know - its a weird church, but its my weird church. I DO remember one year in Youth Group we spent visitin OTHER churches and I remember the palm fronds at that church. I think it was Methodist.

I would guess Palm Sunday is probably "Wear your Birkenstocks Day."
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#