Thursday, March 15, 2007

 

Letters to a Young Lawyer



Before the break, one of my favorite ethics students lent me his copy of Alan Dershowitz' "Letters to a Young Lawyer." It was kind of odd that he lent me a book (it usually goes the other way), but he said that the book had reminded him of some of the things I say in ethics class. I brought it along for beach reading.

It's a good book, and Dershowitz and I do agree on many things; almost everything, in fact. Some of the points ("choose a job you are passionate about") is standard commencement-speech stuff, but Dersh goes deeper into it than most people, exploring what that means in various contexts. He also advises those concerned about fairness in criminal law to become prosecutors, because of the discretion they have, and I chose that route for that reason.

Back in law school I was visiting a friend up at Harvard one weekend, and we went to a Harvard Square place for dinner. She introduced me to Dershowitz (a Yale Law grad like me, not Harvard), who quickly turned back to the group of students he was strategizing something with. It wasn't much of a meeting, but the image of him huddled in excited conversation with students was enduring-- that he was including his students in his work, trying to lead by example, and valuing their contributions. He was treating them like lawyers. I remember thinking that it was something I wanted to do someday.

Now I have that chance.

Comments:
I can't think of Alan Dershowitz without thinking of that weird movie about Klaus and Sunny von Bulow where Ron Silver played Dershowitz defending Klaus, who was played by Jeremy Irons. At one point Irons, as Klaus, says "I am a very strange man." Irons used the same line several years later when he did the voice of Scar in "The Lion King."
 
Unrelated - he isnt gonna make that jump.
 
My favorite line from that movie (and I know them all because my mother watched that movie a lot...) was Jeremy Irons as Klaus when he said, "Nobody shook Sonny."

THe creepiest person in that movie was his girlfriend, Named Andrea but who pronounced her name
Onn DREH uh In the movie she was played by Christine Baranski.

This is how Spencer's babysitter pronounces her name. So we say Spencer is at Onn DREH uh's house today.... and that always makes me think of Klaus Von Bulow.

I think Alan Dershowitz would be cool to meet. I liked also how in the movie at least he incorporated and included his students in everything. IF that movie is accurate that is the kind of professor I imagine Osler is, when he is not hanging with Lego people, that is.
 
I'm not enough like that, Tyd. And I have never seen that movie! I should rent it...
 
I adore that book - I bought it right before I came to law school and it actually both calmed me and made me even more nervous.

And if you're ever afraid of Jeremy Irons, just watch "Eragon", which is laughable (and of course, it doesn't mean to be). Irons looks like he's literally in pain, but definitely not scary. Pathetic, more like.
 
I just love this picture. When do we, as adults, ever go sprinting so fearlessly into the unknown? But I have one question about your cali trip - why do you dis Long Beach and its beaches? There are some very pretty parts!
 
Good luck on everything, y'all should do well, considering the coaching.

Jeremy Irons completely creeped me out in that movie (von Bulow, not Lion King), very weird accent, not that I can say much about accents....
 
He is having a blast. But where's the photo taker? Flying above him in a hot air balloon? The small version makes it appear that way!

So does anyone know the name of this movie so I can rent it?
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
Wait! you mean to tell me that you actually valued my opinion when I was your student!? MY OPINION MATTERED AT BAYLOR LAW?!?
And here I was living this time in anonymity thinking I had not mattered since law school!

Maybe I would have paid more attention. Now I'm a prosecutor who thought he got the job kick a little ass in court...can't say I picked up the fairness aspect of it all! :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#