Sunday, January 14, 2007

 

We Beat the Trekkies!



[Please note: The spelling of the name of the Texas Tech coach has been slightly altered to prevent him from conducting a Google search, finding this post, driving to Waco, and beating the snot out of me]

Yesterday, I attended the Baylor/Texas Tech men's basketball game with IPLawGuy, IPLawWife, and IPLawBaby (who inexplicably slept through the whole thing). IPLawWife turned out to be the most informed amongst us, as she was the starting center on her state-champion high school team. In contrast, IPLawGuy and I play basketball like blind, drunk guys who rely on elements of hockey (such as the use of a long stick) for any success we may have.

The Baylor Bears won, led by Aaron Bruce. During a particularly well-sung national anthem, we were close enough to the action to hear Tech coach Bobbi Knight singing his own "parody" version of the song. He really has a pretty good voice for a guy who has done that much yelling!

Intriguingly, Baylor Law's own Heather Creed was at the game, wearing a very nice "Indiana" sweatshirt. I'm not sure if this was in support or opposition to Bobby Nite, though. Indiana fired Mr. Nytt, so it could have been a protest. More likely, though, is this-- Heather wanted to show support for Bahby Knight, but could not bring herself to wear a Texas Tech shirt. At any rate, she is from Indiana, so she might have just dug the shirt out of the bottom of her closet at random, but I doubt that.

As for Mr. Knite himself, he was at the top of his form. Attired in his trademark uniform of black pants, sweater, and police belt with a heavy black flashlight and collapsible baton, he spent a good part of the game berating the officials. This was effective, as they seemed to favor the visitors. I'm personally on the fence regarding Boby Knight-- he does graduate his players, and his team seems very disciplined and well-coached. And his success is hard to argue with, even when he does not have great talent. However, during the game, Mrs. IPLawGuy mentioned that her high school coach was a fan of Mr. Niyt who replicated his methods and personality. I asked how that was, and she shrugged. "We were good, but it made me not like basketball any more."

How many people have been influenced indirectly in this way by Bobbie Knight? I'm guessing a lot.

For more info on the game, check out the report over at Bear Meat, when they choose to update their blog. Lately, they have been taking the New York Times approach to sports news.

Comments:
I grew up in Lubbock and it was interesting to see what he has done for the community (besides beat the crap out of his players).

He is always using his name to promote community events. He even (for free) signed a folding metal chair for the Cattle Baron's Ball (American Cancer Society) to auction off.

He brings a lot to the Texas Tech community beside his explosive temper.

That being said, I too was at the game and the victory was sweet.
 
Did it occur to y'all that Bob Nite (following Osler's convention) employs a Practice-Court-Esque approach to coaching, which may explain the students' attitudes upon graduation-->"we're good at it, but it made me not like [the practice of law] anymore."
 
I'd like to explore tydwbleach's idea of cars running on methadone. It sure works for some of my patients.
 
As a Sparten fan, Im glad Bubba Night is in Texas.
 
9:26-- I think it's great he would sign a folding chair for charity. That shows a real sense of humor and a little humility. I really am not an anti-Nite activist or anything.
 
I'm kind of torn over Mr. Nite's attitude towards sports. I have always been of the opinion that whatever you "play" it should be fun. I loved football in junior high, but the coach was a trainer for the Gestapo. No fun.

So I picked two sports, cross country and tennis, which both had fun coaches who wanted us to have fun. Sometimes we lost, sometimes we won, but we always had fun.

Mr. Kneight does collaborate with local events and charities, which is generous, but he also mistreats (in my opinion) his players, and I have no doubt that refereeing a game that he is coaching is a nightmare. Is winning so important in college sports that any kind of behavior is admissible?

He wins a lot, but he has also done a lot of hugely questionable things. I do think, though, that physical violence towards your players is not acceptable, and I wouldn't have him coach any team I was responsible for.

My opinion, for what it's worth.
 
Bobby Kgniyet was living near me in Indiana when my dog ran away. Mr. Kgniyet spotted the lost pup, carefully rescued him from the street, fed him for a few days, then killed and ate poor little Sneakers as a motivational exercise for his team. Still, I think it is great that he wins so much!
 
Dear Prof:

Thanks for picking up our slack. We attended as well, but the Lady Bears loss stymied our blog plans and sent us into a dark spiral of Pearl Light, nihilism, and despair.

BearMeat
 
Do you know how much Pearl Light you have to drink to wind up in the nihilism/despair spiral? Even if you don't have that far to go? It's pretty far out.
 
Regarding previous entry Re Pres Ford Death:

Comments from Chevy Chase: from IMDB.com

"Comedy legend Chevy Chase underwent rehab treatment for an addiction to painkillers, inspired by the public plight of former President's wife Betty Ford. The Fletch star visited the Betty Ford clinic in the 1980s after becoming hooked on painkilling drugs prescribed for back pain. He insists he would never had sought help had he not read about the treatment Ford underwent for alcoholism. Writing in the New York Times about former president Gerald Ford's death at Christmas at the age of 93, Chase says, "If it hadn't been for the courage of Mr Ford's wife, Betty, for admitting to an alcohol problem, I would never have received the help I needed. During my short stay there. I often saw Mrs. Ford personally surveying the clinic and generously offering a helping hand." After his stay Chase - who regularly impersonated President Ford on Saturday Night Live - became close friends with the First Couple."
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#