Saturday, January 06, 2007

 

The Right Answer.



RG recently commented on the fear of giving a wrong answer in class. Since I started teaching, I have thought a lot about the way I feel about student answers, and my thinking is somewhat complex. I'd group the answers this way:

1) The uninformed answer.

This is the answer, usually accompanied by furious paper-shuffling or a blank look, that shows the student either did not do the reading or did not brief the case sufficiently. I have learned to be patient-- sometimes what at first appears to be this type of answer morphs into a more informed one once the student thinks a second or two.

2) The informed wrong answer

This is an answer where the person knows the case but misread something, or applied the wrong doctrine. This answer is ok; it makes for a good opportunity to work through an issue.

3) The informed answer I disagree with

This is my favorite. Sometimes I have had students convinced me that the informed answer I disagree with should become the informed answer I agree with. Usually, the answerer and I agree on the basic facts and disagree about policy or potential effects.

4) The informed answer I agree with

You might think this is the easiest to handle, but it isn't. The problem is that I am tempted to finish the answer for the students once she is going in the right direction, instead of letting her complete the job.

The painting above is of my grandmother, painted by my grandfather. She had answers of all four types, I came to learn.

Comments:
I would like to see a run down on the types of questions you ask. As I have taken some of your classes, your questions range from totally expected and easy to wha-wha-whattttt!!!! I would like to see a run down on your questions--the wizard behind the curtain view.
 
In a class where I feel highly pressured, for whatever reason, when I'm called on everything that was in my head goes right out the window. I think I got so wound up with fear of being called on first quarter that unless I feel very confident with the answer and comfortable with the class, I freak out. Even when I'm volunteering for an answer I know, my stomach starts churning.

Surprisingly, once I'm on my feet (literally or figureatively) and I actually start going, I usually manage to pull my wits together and not completely face plant. But that first moment is usually still a doozy.
 
Is that a television remote control in your Grandmother's hand?
 
It's her gloves, doofus. Obviously, she was gardening.
 
Wow, this was me in PR and PC...

This is the answer, usually accompanied by furious paper-shuffling or a blank look...

I have to say that it wasn't because I didn't do the homework, but because I was completely scared to death of looking stupid in front of God and everyone and couldn't remember the last thing that was said to me---the question the professor asked! Thus, a self-fulfilling prophecy--I looked really stupid...a lot...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#