Monday, January 22, 2007

 

My Familiars, again...


Philadelphia is a city of brick buildings and old iron pipes. On the train from the airport, I looked up from the culvert near the UPenn stop and saw a proud old building with worn, warm bricks and a faded stone tablet. Squinting with my old eyes, I could see that the tablet said "Palestra." So, that was it, square by the tracks, the Cathedral.

Philadelphia is a place where sometimes great things wait quietly for you to find them, like Quakers at worship.

Comments:
Philadelphia is the American city: from the steps of Betsy Ross's house, to the door of Man Full of Trouble tavern. No wonder they so proudly display the world's largest clothes pin.
 
It took me at least three or four trips to Philly to find Pat's and Geno's cheese steaks. But there they were, waiting for me.
 
You might enjoy this resturant in Philly - Victor Cafe - Music Lovers Rendez Vous - Named after RCA Victor. Opera and Italian food
 
And the Mummers? Let's not forget the Mummers.http://philadelphia.about.com/library/gallery/bl2000mummers29.htm
 
Greatest city in America, no doubt (come on, y'all knew I'd have to comment eventually)!

Campbell
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#