Monday, December 11, 2006

 

A Thoughtful Critique of Haiku Friday's Entries

I asked IPLawGuy to be the judge for this past Friday. He sends me the following report:

Wow, what an honor to be asked to judge the Haiku.
Perhaps I should do it in verse.

But that would get old quick, and be too precious by half.

Anyhow, It's almost not fair to have me do the judging, since my
criteria is kind of hard to predict. When one composes a haiku, one
does not know who the judge will be. If the judge likes pathos or
expressions of angst, one kind of haiku would win. Mr. Farhenthold (I
have no idea how to spell his name for real, since so many variations
appear) might choose a poem that promotes his candidacy. The
Medievalist would probably pick something medieval or Minnesotan.

(and of course, this disqualifies me from winning. Darn!)

Anyway, just as I like music that rocks, I like haikus that make me
laugh out loud.

So Celebrity Luvr wins hands down with:

Girls without panties
Paparazzi are happy
Let's go commando!!

I snorted when I read that.

For second, I pick one of Stef the Pef's little ditties that also made
me laugh:

Undergrad finals
Blow the nuts of a goat.
Please, God, kill me now.

I too felt that way 8 different times as an undergrad. Never did get
the
hang of that whole "planning ahead" and "doing the reading during the
semester" thing. Let's not even talk about my law school career.
Suffice
it to say, I am living proof that you can get a good job without being
at the top of your class.

For third, a curveball. Something that was actually a little touching
by "B":

no mojo today
mind on the impractical
girl in Wisconsin

My mind spent WAY too much time on WAY too many impractical girls in my
time. So I feel B's pain.

Comments:
Great analysis! And excellent choices, especially the Wisconsin thing. Paparrazi, goats, and impracticality, sounds like my weekend. Good job, IPLawguy. Hope to meet you when you swing our way.
 
This post gives me a new idea for a daily blog post: Impractical Decision of the Day!

For example, instead of doing law homework, one might decide to watch the West Wing Marathon on Bravo. Totally impractical decision.
 
Word.

-B
 
The great thing about the impractical decision-making process is that it has applications beyond school -- you can use it in real life as well!

For instance, instead of billing hours like a good corporate lawyer, I think up cheesy Haikus or amusing rejoinders to post here.

Or, instead of a salad and a piece of fruit for a midday meal, you can go to a place like the Health Camp for lunch, and rationalize it because you had to walk from your car and stand around for a few minutes waiting for your order. That must burn a few hundred calories, right? And the dairy content of the milkshake, the potassium in the fries and the protein in the burger all count towards the good too, I believe.
 
IP Law guy said
Celebrity Luvr rocks
Cool CD 4 me.
---Celebrity Luvr
Thanks !!
 
So you're a snorter, eh Mr. IP?
 
Hey, "Blow the nuts of a goat" is only six syllables! I call shenanigans!
 
Ooops. The second place poem is one syllable short, although perhaps Stef the Pef has some weird accent that would make it "Go-at." She didn't win the CD, however, so there's no damage to anyone. Sort of a victimless Haiku crime.

I guess I was just taken in by the beauty of the imagery and the feelings it engendered that I didn't count the syllables correctly.
 
Is Celebrity Luvr the lover of an actual celebrity, ie, he lives with and has relations with someone like Kathy Bates or Bea Arthur?
 
How short-sighted to presume that Celebrity Luvr is a he. Please just let me Bea!
---C.Luvr
 
I second the motion for Impractical Decision of the Day post. Coach bag. Round of golf at Pebble Beach. Christian Louboutin shoes. Tickets to the Rose Bowl. Marriage. Nap.

And, more posts on gifts for professors.

- Disinterested Party
 
Anonymous at 3:04pm,

Round of golf at pebble beach impractical huh? =) My dream!!!
 
*blushes*

Yes, goat is two syllables. "Go at?" Sure...that works.

Still pretty cool to be picked, even if I wasn't that coherent when I wrote those. :o)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#