Saturday, December 16, 2006

 

High Steel and Church Politics (and lawyer's pay)



My hero of music procurement, Dr. Blaine McCormick, delivered a special goody this week: Some songs by Andrew Peterson, a singer-songwriter who has many songs about being the father to unruly boys. I recommend them, particularly if you are in that class of people; you can check them out here.

One of the songs really struck me, though. It's called "Mohawks on a Scaffold," though it is really about church politics. The title draws from the fact that much of the "high steel" construction work in New York has long been done by Mohawks. In fact, they built much of the World Trade Center, and I thought of them when the towers were destroyed. Peterson uses the image of a Mohawk on a high beam to symbolize our tenuous but oddly confident walks of faith.

Which brought back a memory for me. My second summer of law school, I worked at the firm of Mayer, Brown and Platt in Chicago. Their offices were high in a tower in the center of the Loop. One day, I was at a meeting with two partners and a client in a meeting room. The meeting involved the financing for a construction project. Out the window, perhaps 30 yards away, workers were building an office tower and walking on beams 50 stories in the sky. One man was placing a bolt while another stood next to him on the beam with the wrench. The beam was at most a foot wide, and there was literally nothing else besides a few other beam between them and the street so far below. I was in awe. For a moment, we stared at them out the window, and then the older men broke the silence:

Senior Partner 1: Look at that-- what do those guys get paid?
Senior Partner 2: Pretty good job; they make about $25 per hour.
Senior Partner 1: [reflectively] I make ten times that.
Then they all laughed, awkwardly.

I never was cut out for big firm work.

Comments:
Ten times, he must be a poor performer.
 
10:35--

This was 1989, of course.

B-Mac--

curious...
 
what type of person is cut out for big firm work?
 
Well, I have known some people who thrived in that environment, and were a very good influence on me and their communities. They tended to be beyond a type A personality-- more like an AAA.
 
I am unfamilar with the term Mohawk in this use. Do you mean that members of the tribe were doing this type of work or that workers of this type were called "Mohawks."
 
They were (and are) Mohawk indians from upstate New York.
 
Although there are plenty of people with the classic "type A" personality practicing law in big firms, that alone is not what makes one successful in a big firm. And its no guarantee of success either.

I know several driven, conscientious, smart, hard working lawyers who did not find big firm life to their liking. One woman I know billed countless hours for a big firm for 7 or 8 years before breaking off to go with a litigation boutique. She wanted to be a courtroom lawyer and working in a big firm meant she was not going to be in court very often. She still works hard, but now she goes to Court.

Another classmate was and is very ambitious, but he never knew how to work as part of a team. His "type A" characteristics overwhelmed all of his other qualities and drove people crazy. He's bounced around a lot.

I'm with a big firm, but that certainly wasn't my plan. In fact I really didn't have one. It just sort of happenened.

Right off the top of my head I can think of five people from my law school class who KNEW they wanted the money and prestige of a big firm from day one. They all got better grades than me and were hired by big prestigious firms early in their third year. I started with a 15 person boutique for far less money.

One is now in house at Microsoft after stints as a an Asst. U.S. Atty and State Prosecutor, two are housewives, one has his own firm doing divorce and small time court house law and another is part time in house with a government contractor in DC.
 
Well, IP, I sure wouldn't consider you a type AAA, and you have succeeded at a big firm (the rest of the stuff I said is true of you, though).

I can think of others, too, who have succeeded there and are not AAA.
 
What are you calling me lazy?

Here's one thing that stinks about big firm life... we have to fill out a self evaluation-- basically a plea for an improved monthly draw/salary for the coming year. Naturally, I blew it off till the last moment, so I am up past midnight on a Saturday night trying to write a set of essays that will impress the powers that be in the firm.

I realize corporate employees, and probably academics have to do the same sort of thing, but lawyers in small shops usually do not.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#