Tuesday, December 26, 2006

 

A Good Day for Santa



As some of you (eg, Sleepy Walleye, the Spanish Medievalist, IPLawGuy) know, my dad is a painter. Some of his stuff I understand, others I don't. Overall, I really do like and admire it. My favorites are the ones he did of people who sit in the the last row of church. He went to a bunch of different churches, many in Mississippi, and seemed fascinated by those who sat in the back. Maybe it was the ambivalence, or the tenative nature of some of them, but just as often they seem very calm and at peace. Randall O'Brien has one of these paintings in his study at home.

Dad did the painting above last year. It is maybe my favorite image of Santa-- enjoying a job well done, I imagine, the day after Christmas. I think painting becomes art when instead of merely replicating how we see something it starts to shape how we see it, and this painting has shaped the way I think of Santa and the spirit of those who give with joy. Those people (and I know some) tend not only to be generous with wealth but also with spirit-- they exude a certain joyfulness that is totally in keeping with the sacrifices that they make.

I once read that there is an element of self-portrait in every painting, and it is good to be home the day after Christmas.

Comments:
I have an autographed photo of Ronald Reagan, wine glass in hand, that looks remarkably like that.
 
Who was it you think gave Santa that glass of wine?
 
I like that Santa...

Its how a REAL Santa would be you know? Like maybe after sitting at the mall all day going through lots of kids telling him what they want and then having to go ALLLLL the way back to the North Pole, and he FINALLY delivers ALLL of those presents and then he is like too tired to sleep you know? Beyond tired... SO he has a little Merlot.

A very realistic grown up Santa, yet he is not cynical yet. After a vacation and some summer reading and stuff he will be refreshed and ready to hit it again next year.
 
i like that santa. it is honest and familiar (qualities that i think are said to exist in the best portraits). it is kind of like the coca-cola santa for grown ups. we all know that santa's cheeks aren't rosy just because he comes from the north pole.
 
IPLawguy--

I've seen that picture in your office; it is my favorite picture of a president, just about. And it is the same look. (Don't tell my dad that, though).

Mediev--

It sounds like Tydwbleach gave it to him.
 
My guess is that your Dad and RR would have hit it off pretty well, although your Dad would have been frustrated that he couldn't change Reagan's mind.

But enough about Reagan... when do we see the posting on the death of your fellow Michigander, Gerry Ford?
 
That dude looks like the Baylorfans poster "Santa Claus." Booze always in hand! Ho ho ho!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#