Sunday, December 24, 2006

 

Christmas Eve 2006


A few weeks ago, I had a conversation over lunch with a nine-year-old of my acquaintance. He enjoys theological discussions, so I asked him, "If Jesus was to be a King, why was he born in a barn?" The boy thought about it for a minute and ate a few fries, and then said "I think God makes some things happen in a certain way so that we learn a lesson from it." Fair enough, but I had to ask him, "what is the lesson?" He ate a few more fries and then said thoughtfully, "I think it's that great things come from poor people sometimes, and where we don't expect it."

At some point today, my dad will get restless. He will probably want to drive into Detroit and go to some decimated neighborhood, and will want me to go with him, and I probably will. He often wants to do this on Christmas eve. One year, he wanted to show me what he said was a beautiful old Arts and Crafts style building near Brush Park on the East Side. We went there and he said, "It's just so wonderful," and got out to go into the building. I looked out, and saw something different. The building had burned; it was gutted, probably by arson. Even part of the roof was gone. I stepped out of the car and there were crack vials in the gutter that crunched underfoot. I followed him to the door, and saw there were three men in there, living in the rubble. Dad, as is his way, went over to talk to them, about the light in the place and the neighborhood. I watched and nodded and we went home and there was a fire in the fireplace and a tree and the smell of gingerbread. I cried with happiness that night when I went to bed, and with sadness.

And the next day was Christmas.

Comments:
I've a series of bad Christmas eves. One year I passed kidney stones; another year, I woke up Christmas morning with the flu. Not as reflective as yours, Osler, but no one else was commenting.

-B
 
I think people have a lot of their own stories they carry pretty deep inside about days like Christmas.
 
Extraordinary Christmas events (good or bad) always make compelling stories. I remind myself to enjoy the passing of the season for the simple reason that sometimes nothing observably extraordinary happens. Besides, what I think happened today will differ greatly from the story my children will tell about the Christmases of their childhood.

I'm astonished by the absolute faith and dedication to Santa Claus exhibited by my otherwise analytical six-year-old boy. Of course, I do nothing to discourage his imaginative rationalization of the endless implausibilities of the myth. Am I doing him any favors? We both enjoy our respective roles in this game, but I worry about the implications when the truth comes out about the big lie we've cultivated over the years. But why do I worry? My folks pulled the same thing on us and I continued to love, respect and trust them even after my Santa enlightenment. I think what made it all right is that my parents were successful in conveying the deeper importance of the holiday as a time of togethernes and love. Santa was fun while it lasted, but my deepest sentiments regarding Christmas revolve around the intimacy of family and friends.
Nothing asonishing needs to happen.
 
Spencer still at two and a half does not really GET Christmas. He figured out that presents might come, but then he was still kind of confused He did love all of hte candy in his stocking which he managed to eat most of like throughout the day. He threw up twice, and my husband and I had discussions about whether he should be allowed to eat the candy and just get it over with (his idea) or if we should not let him have any more (my idea).

Spencer had a great Christmas, and now unfortunaly I am back at work for three days, until Firday, when I will have Fri, Sat, Sun & Mon off. I had a pretty good Christmas too, even though the house was a mess and the baby was sick and I was sick and other stuff... Being at home with my family, no matter how small (three of us) was just the BEST.
Oh and I did fugure out that my hideous boss is a dead ringer for The Grinch. That will get me through the next three days. THat and my new DUNDER MIFFLIN snow glogbe and mug.

You Nutty Lawyers should really lighten up and start watching THE OFFICE on Thursday nights.
 
My husband and I did not want to have SPencer's first idea of Christmas be only SANTA CLAUS you know? SO we did not really tell him that. But then, we did not tell him anything else, either, so he does not know the story of the Nativity. We thought at 2.5 he would not understand it. We tried to find some books because we read to him constantly but a lot of them were just weird.

He still is so small and innocent. He made me laugh and cry when he made us turn off the grinch cartoon a few weeks ago He got very upset that the Grinch had just stolen CIndy Lou's Christmas Tree. Spencer was endlessly fascinated by the Christmas Tree, and thinks of it as HIS tree. However, He does not know anything about what stealing is, and he got very morose and sad when Cindy Lou lost her tree. Then we had to turn it off.

I am always amazed by him and how sweet he really is, how totally innocent. Sometimes I just want to never let him out of the door, to go to school or anything... I just never want anyone or anything to ever hurt him. I know that is so stupid.

Anyway, this year we just enjoyed him and tried to go with the flow of what his idea of Christmas was... To him it meant: Mommy and Daddy were both home, no one really talked on the phone or went on the internet, we spent a lot of time together as a family, you get a few presnts that are cool, and you get to eat all of the Mini Reese's cups you want until you throw them up.
 
Tyd--

You make a barfy holiday sound ok. That's a pretty good outlook.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#