Friday, December 29, 2006

 

Another Thought on President Ford

It's kind of funny; I wasn't going to say much about the passing of President Ford. Probably James Brown had more of an influence on my life, but that is a different story. However, then I came across this haiku from ol' Thomas:

The Cemetery
Next to the Law School Makes me
Fear Zombie Attacks

Now, Thomas probably did not mean for this to refer to President Ford. The haiku probably is just about the cemetery next to Baylor Law School. However, Ford and I had a lot in common: We were both from Michigan, both pragmatists to some degree, both loved to ski, and we both went to Yale Law School. It was this last that links up with the haiku; Yale Law is located next to a cemetery, too. Maybe this is a result of some long-ago federal legislation, the Law School/Dead People Co-Location Act of 1937. I think this was the same year that the National Uneven Bun/Meat Distribution and Safe Streets Act was passed (mandating that if there are ten hot dogs in a pack, buns must come only in packages of 8 or 12). Anyways, the New Haven cemetery was creepiest of all. When I visited one of my favorite professors, Dan Freed, in his office, I could see that the gate to the cemetery read "The Dead Shall Rise Again."

Anyways, I heard Ford speak and went up to meet him afterward, and for some reason I wanted to talk about that cemetery and the dead rising from it to attack the law school. I did not get to meet him; he was whisked off to something, but I bet we could have shared a laugh.

Comments:
Are you high?
 
No. Sheesh.
 
What is interesting to me is that Gerald Ford was constantly made fun of on SNL when he was in office. However, later on, more than half of those people ended up at one time or another spending extended periods in his wife's treatment facility - most notably Chevy Chase, who will be forever linked with Gerald Ford by his imitation of him. It was this imitation, falling off of stairs and ladders and podiums that led to the back injuries that led him to abuse prescription pain relievers, and the addiction to the pills landed him in the Betty Ford Treatment Center.

Its just so WEIRD. Gerald Ford made it all the way to the White House and was president but the only way he will be remembered is by the weirdness that surrounded him. I cannot remember a single thing he did in office. Then, I was like 9 when he got there....
 
Tyd--

Are you serious about Chevy Chase going to the Betty Ford Clinic?!?!?! Wow. As for what happened-- I do remember the "Mayaguez Incident," which didn't turn into a war. And that was good.
 
HAHAHAHAHA! YES!
 
I really never understood what a brilliant lawyer and clear thinker Ford was until I watched a rebroadcast of his appearance in front of the Senate Judicial Committee. They called him to explain why he pardoned Nixon. He was brilliant, and in spite of my feelings at the time (I was 14, heck, what did I know?), I now realize that he sacrificed his own popularity with the American people to save the American nation. How many politicians in Washington would do something similar today?
 
I've always wondered about the meat/bun disparity. I figured there was some bun cartel out there, controlling the market to force innocent Americans into regularly purchasing two extra buns. When the hot dog union tried to match their meat distribution to the bun distribution, Mrs. Baird sent out a coupla goons to set them straight...
 
I plan to run for SBA on the platform of getting a big ass fence around the entire cemetary. It may cost the entire year's social budget, but the law students have lived in constant fear of zombie attack for far too long.
 
Listening to Ford's speeches on NPR and the Washington Post radio station (yes, it has a radio station) as well as the Post website, I am struck by how direct and clear he was when speaking. I never liked Geo. W. Bush and one of the reasons why was his terrible, disjointed, falsely arrogant speaking style. Didn't like Clinton's either because he didn't seem to believe half of what he was saying and he knew that many of his listeners KNEW that he didn't believe it either.

When Ford spoke, it was in complete sentences and he seemed to believe what he was saying. No ums, no ahs, no shifty eyes. That was what made his debate blunder about Eastern Europe so sad. He seemed to believe it. But his later explanation of what he was trying to say also seemed believable. There was no "botched joke" excuse either.
 
Yes. Chevy Chase spent many weeks in the Betty Ford center trying to overcome Prescription pain pill addiction. He needed the pills from injuring his back so many times from falling on purpose, imitating Gerald Ford.


Scary, huh? Art imitates life, then life gets hurt, and must go to Art's wife for help......

OK Now I think I might be high... I work at home now and my toddler has to be asleep for me to get anything done. Since he never sleeps anymore I have stay up half the night working now.
 
The Bun thing makes perfect sense... check it out.

http://www.imbecility.com/hotdog.htm
 
The Bun Disparity Debate (or BDD) has intrigued many people for many years. As a child at many family/friend gatherings where hotdogs and hamburgers were served, the BDD was always central to many conversations. I had a friend who ONLY at the buns--never any meat--said they scared him too much because they weren't recognizable as animal parts anymore. Let's skip any obvious retorts to that statement. Let's face it, there always has to be a bag with two or three leftover buns in the fridge so they can get old and turn green. Is this a law?
 
so wait? did i win haiku friday? or what?
 
My Mom turned the extra buns into garlic bread when we had spaghetti
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#