Tuesday, November 28, 2006

 

Two/three new winners!

These three win copies of my William Hung-themed Christmas cd.

First of all, there was some serious high-quality haiku last week. The best was this one from "Justin" which was poignant yet subtly terrifying:

Justin said...
Turkey-day is gone
But the turkey it remains
What to do with it?

Experiments yikes
Turkey enchiladas bad
What was dad thinking?

Don't think he'll stop now
He's back at the drawing board
Turkey please run out!


The high schoolish dark poetry contest had many horrific entries. Perhaps the most grippingly sad were these two, penned by co-winners Brian McKinney and Jonathon Swanburg:

Brian McKinney said...
They need A/v
Calling, always calling,
Help them set up projectors...
Only to be mocked.


Swanburg said...
The principal asks
The teacher touched you where?

I point to the doll
Unlike me, the doll doesn’t cry
The doll doesn’t know
The
Pain

The gym shower
Teen angst envelopes me
Can’t go in there
The
Inferiority

Comments:
Id like to thank my dad for his horrifically horrible yet well intentioned attempt to find new ways to use the left over turkey. The enchiladas might have worked if he had not smoked to turkey and left the enchiladas with a distinct smokey flavor that doesn't quite mesh with the spicy sauce.
 
That does sound gross. Please stop by to claim your prize if you are a "Justin" who lives in or near Waco, Texas, which is located midway between fascinating Austin and hell-hole Dallas.
 
try not to take the hair thing so personally.
 
Good thing my poem was entirely fictional or this could have been really awkward.
 
Mine is not. I was so nerdy they had to invent a class for me to have "Computer Lab Aide"

But its ok.
 
Those were some great, if not terrifying Haiku. I used to eat turkey sandwiches for months after Thanksgiving. It went on so long, by Easter one year I asked my mom, "What gives? Did you buy and roast another turkey just for my sandwiches?" "No," she said, "I just divided up what was left into 30 small freezer bags and take them out one at a time." To this day, I eat very sparingly when the turkey comes out.

Do we have a theme, such as, "End of semester" for this Friday's Haiku? Or is it time to break out the Christmas Haiku?

BTW, all of the weird Lindsay Lohan teenage angst death poetry (kudos to the winners!) hit a little too close to home for comfort.
 
Freezer Haiku

soup freezes quite well
not many other things do
Turkey? That's just gross.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#