Sunday, November 19, 2006

 

The Swissgirl Has Spoken!


I received the following message from "Swissgirl," who took her job as Haiku judge very seriously:


"Actually, it's a tough choice between Anonymous 3:27 and krj. I liked them both for their right-on usage of their foreign words, their clarity and larger insight, their ability to write more than one haiku that pair well together, and their relevance to what's going on at BLS.

Ultimately, I'll go with Anonymous 3:27 for his/her ability to write a nice, coherent sequence of haiku and for the double entendre in the last one.

Video duty
yet more pointless objections
thinking: seppuku.

I wonder about
the professors' stamina
an endless ordeal

Just one quarter left
then my nightmare is over
but then they repeat

I wonder how much
I would consider enough
to do this daily

Sitting here thinking:
if she objects one more time
I will lose my mind.


KRJ is the runner-up, a VERY CLOSE second, for his/her use of 'estoppel' and 'ennui' in a nice bit of assonance. (This is the 'winning' one, but the second is a nice, lowbrow contrast to it.)

estoppel by deed
I purport to convey that
ennui overwhelms

4:24 PM

Tex-Mex fills my gut
margaritas, Coronas
Tia's tortillas

4:28 PM



Honorable mention goes to:
--Carver, for making me look up 'meshugine' (Yiddish for 'crazy' or 'foolish');
--Stef the Pef and Micah, for their notable first use of words in a haiku. There should really be a
separate category for this. (Stef the Pef for 'Puffalumps' and Micah for 'Malt-O-Meal.')

Sorry, Micah; you don't get to belly up to the bar and order beers yet, even if you are (partly) in Texas."

Comments:
And some kind of special category--Best Explication-- for IPLAwguy, for expanding upon the winner Anonymous' haiku series about watching Practice Court, because I wouldn't have figured it out without your wondering whether he wrote them while taking a deposition.
 
I thought it was a depo too. Someone else explained what was really happening.

But I'll take credit for asking the right question... a good skill for deposition taking, btw.

Oh and,

Mon chat est trouver
un "pain" dans ma derriere,
mais elle est tres belle.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#