Monday, November 20, 2006

 

Sad Dad Bad Had

Last night I had a dinner party for an out-of-town guest and several of my friends and colleagues came over. It was a good time-- I grilled some tuna, mahi-mahi, and salmon, tried a few bottles of the Beaujulais Nouveau which came out last week, and we told some good stories. It was one of those happy, cozy, almost-the-holiday times with friends that make a long week worth it.

The dinner started at about 7, and at 10 one of the guests brought up his transportation issues, leading to this memorable discussion:

Guest B: So, did you get the other car back?
Guest A: No, it's still in the shop, so we are all using the one car.
Guest B: So how did you get here?
Guest A: My dad drove me.
Guest B: Well... isn't that your car out front?

[horrified silence as other guests realize the truth]

Guest B: You left your Dad in the car this whole time????
Guest A: He's just sitting around in the car... he likes that.


At this point, I thought Guest A might be putting us on, so I ran to the front window to look into his car.

And there was his 70-something dad, looking back at me.

Comments:
Yet you still call him a "friend."
 
And I was just thinking how I hate it when my dad tries to advise me on transportation.

-B
 
I'm really hoping at this point that 70-something dad came in and enjoyed a glass of wine.

Please let it end on a happy note.
 
That's either dedication, or a sign of a man who probably shouldn't be driving a car.
 
Did you offer for him to come in?

I feel like after letting him sit in the car for three hours the proper etiquette would be to ask if there was anything you could bring him.

Obviously the conversation would become far to awkward had he ventured into your home.

"So. . .how was the car? Good? Yea sometimes I like to just sit in the car too. Oh, you don't like sitting in the car? You thought we were just going to be a few minutes? Well, your son didn't tell us you were out there? No need to resort to violence. Ok, you try that one more time and I'm sending you back to the car. . ."
 
V.R.--

Sadly, no. The elderly Dad just stayed in the car until Son came out and they went home. Supposedly, Son told Dad he should come in, but he refused. Which didn't make me feel any better.
 
You know, I'd make a comment about this, but it's just a little too weird. And the odd thing is, I can imagine my own dad doing that very thing: waiting in the car all night. No, really, he would.
 
I can't wait to be a stubborn father and make everyone around me feel uncomfortable
 
My dad would do something like that, too.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#