Saturday, November 25, 2006

 

Reflections on Thanksgiving



I often mull something over, make a note to bring it up at a party, then forget to do so. Most recently, I planned to ask my guests over the past week (I basically had three dinner parties in seven days) why they don't have Thanksgiving (or a similar holiday) in France. I mean, look at that photo-- they have a lot to be thankful for. I imagined that it would have brought forth the usual anti-France sentiments which are common around here, but maybe a little insight, too, given the people at those parties-- the Spanish Medievalist, Prof. Bates, Bill Underwood, etc. But I forgot.

Not that there was any lack of adventure. As some of you may have gleaned from reading the blog, I recently purchased a set of Cutco knives from an enterprising young Baylor student (who has also developed into a master of haiku). They are great knives, and it was the best and easiest job cutting the turkey ever. However, they also played a role in a near-disaster which was narrowly averted only through the quick actions of Gordon Davenport.

On Wednesday night before Thanksgiving, I traditionally make fresh bread and a hearty soup. This year, all was going according to plan. A few bottles of wine had been opened, the guests gathered around the kitchen, my bread came out (goofy looking but tasty), and the soup was close to completion. Then, disaster. While cutting some meat for the soup, the high-quality, long-lasting Cutco knife I was using slipped and cut deep into my finger. It appeared that the finger had been severed at the joint, and blood was gushing out. Unfortunately, I reacted by waving my hand around, nearly spraying blood on the wives of Prof. Torts and Prof. T & E, and causing an audible gasp as my blood pooled on the countertop around the baby carrots. I started to feel faint.

It was at this point that Gordon realized the gravity of the situation-- if I did not complete my task, there may not be enough meat in the soup. As I slumped onto the floor, he deftly stepped to the counter and took up the job of slicing the meat and filling the soup pot.

Thanks to his quick actions, the soup was salvaged and there was enough to eat. Thank you, GED3-- hungry people everywhere salute you.


UPDATE: See the comments for (inexplicably) several excellent soup recipes.

Comments:
The French do have a bunch of Saints days, even though no one goes to Church there
 
Taco Soup:

1 lb 85/15 ground beef

1 can stewed tomatos

1 can Rotel tomatoes

1 can corn

1 can Ranch Style Beans

1 large white onion (chopped)

2 green bell peppers (chopped)

1 packet dry ranch dressing

1 packet of taco seasoning

Cheyenne pepper to taste

Tobasco to taste if you like (this is not recommended for first-timers. the neighbors were offended that I burned their mouths)

Mix everything together in a cauldron (but cook the meat first). Use a couple or more of the empty cans to add water to the soup, depending on how soupy you like your soup.

-B
 
Pie (Pi?) Math

This past week I had a cold and I stayed home from work. I watched a show on the Food Network called the American Pie Championship. There were 700 pies entered to be judged in 14 categories. There were 14 groups of six judges, judging pies in each of the 14 categories. Then there were also another 6 special judges in one group and their job was to judge the best overall pie. That means 90 judges each had to eat an average of 7 pies.

Then in addition to this, there were hundreds more pieces of pies for sale and also used in like a sort of Pie Olympics. There were tests of skill at eating pies, throwing pies, and probably a lot of other pie contests.

I am not sure what this says about America, but seeing how the French already hold seem to hold us in medium esteem, I am thankful that the Food Network is not broadcast in France.
 
Near tragedy struck me as well: I nearly choked on a piece of turkey Friday evening at my girlfriend's house. Both the meat and my mouth were dry, and it soaked up nearly all of what little moisture was remaining on my tongue. But I said to myself, 'What the hell, I can do it. I can choke it down' Nope. Made it about 2.5 inches. Airway blocked off. A terrible loud wheezing/whistling noise as I tried to breath and I grabbed my throat, prompting my girlfriend's mother to yell alarmedly across the kitchen for her husband who is an EMT. Caughed it up just as he was preparing to employ the Heimlich. Very embarrassing. Especially the noise.

Anyhow, as a token of my gratitude for a great blog, here's a soup recipe that shames whatever 11:48 put up:

Paul Prudhomme's Corn and Andouille Soup

SEASONING MIX: 1 tbs plus 1 1/2 tbs lightly packed dark brown sugar; 2 1/4 tsp paprika; 1 1/2 tsp salt; 1 1/4 tsp dried basil; 3/4 tsp garlic powder; 3/4 tsp dry mustard; 3/4 tsp onion powder; 1/2 tsp cayenne; 1/2 tsp ground cumin; 1/2 tsp black pepper; 1/4 tsp white peper.

INGREDIENTS: 3 cups chopped onions, in all; 3 cups seeded and chopped green bell peppers, in all; 1 pound andouille saussage quartered and cut lengthwise, then cut into 1/2 inch pieces; 7 cups chicken stock, in all; 7 cups fresh corn kernels (about 6 ears); 2 cups peeled and chopped fresh tomatoes; 6 tbs all-purpose flower; 1 tbs minced fresh garlic.

1.) combine seasoning mix in small bowl.

2.) Preheat heavy 4-quart pot over high heat until very hot, about 3-4 min. Add 2 cups of the onions, 2 cups of the bell peppers, the andouille, and 2 tbs of the seasoning mix. Cook, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pot every 3-4 min, for 20 min. Add a little stock if necessary to prevent burning. At end of 20 min, reduce heat to low, then add the corn, tomatoes, flour, garlic, remaining onions, remaining bell peppers, 4 cups of the stock and the remaining seasoning mix. Cook, stirring and scraping the pot every 8 to 10 min, for 40 min. Stir in remaining stock, increase heat to high, and bring soup just to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 min.

Tastiest soup in the history of soup bar none.

--NG
 
Spinach Orzo Salad
A substantial salad, perfect for a lunch buffet. Orzo pasta, tangy feta cheese, fresh spinach, kalamata olives, red onions & pine nuts tossed in a balsamic vinaigrette.


This is my favorite salad at Whole Foods.
 
Warning: black humor

I thought you were going to say you added a new kind of protein to the soup . . . sort of like ossobuco . . . Oslerdigit . . .
 
You want soup? This mushroom brie soup is an award winner worthy of the soup Nazi.

2 large wheels double or triple cream brie
3 quarts heavy cream
assorted mushrooms, to taste (I like crimini and those japanese ones plus the central market wild mushroom mix)
2 cups dry sherry (not cheap sherry)
paprika, pepper, and salt to taste

Over low heat in a large pot, warm cream and sherry. Add brie in small pieces (remove skin if you don't want chunks) slowly until combined. Add mushrooms and reduce a bit. Season w/ remaining ingredients. It will be very thick and reheats well. The proportions are somewhat approximate as the best way to do it is to shove as much brie into the cream/sherry as it'll take.

I've had Prudhomme's soup at his restauraunt. This is better. And Taco soup is only tortilla soup for gringoes and yankees (you know who I mean people from Plano).
 
Wow, I never expected an explosion of soup recipes to follow this post, but there you go. I'm printing them.

Joe, am I a gringo or a Yankee? Probably both.
 
Correction on the Corn and Anduille soup seasoning mix! It's 1 tablespoon + 1.5 teaspoons of brown sugar! Sorry.

Also worth noting is that, as I've found to be the case, the most critical element of the soup is not the Anduille, but the corn. Almost any smoked pork sausage will work well if it's of good quality, but the sweeter and fresher the corn, the better. The interplay of sweetness and spice in the recipe is pretty incredible...

Best,
NG
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#