Tuesday, November 14, 2006

 

It was a very very long day

It's after midnight and time for bed, and I'm glad to leave this day behind. For some reason, it was full of disappointment at every turn-- like I had my bad-luck charm on or something.

The good news is that tomorrow is going to be very different. I'm looking forward to "drug day" in criminal practice. It almost seems like people want to talk about these things, and that makes it all easier. Then, in the evening, I'm giving a lecture to the League of Women Voters! I'm pretty excited about that-- this is a group that I am ineligible for, and thus it seems exotic and glorious. Think about it... a club defined by the fact that they vote. What's cooler than that, especially the week after an election where the power of voting was shown so clearly?

My topic is habeas corpus, which like voting itself is somewhat mysterious, powerful, and rooted in ancient social structures we now find hard to comprehend. I love that whiff of history in the law, the old stories that still define our world. I think tomorrow I may meet some kindred souls in that regard.

Comments:
actually, men can join the League of Women Voters.
 
Au Contraire! You CAN join the LWV. It's been open to men for over 20 years. My Mom is a poobah in the local League. As a kid I used to go watch her testify before the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors.
 
So, you had "that" day yesterday. Sorry to hear that. "Those" sorts of days help define "weary." Hope the drug thing goes well:

Mary Jane, heroine,
Some LSD and Cocaine,
Brain in a blender.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#