Tuesday, November 14, 2006

 

Exploding Myths about the League of Women Voters

My talk this evening to the League of Women Voters was pretty fun-- well, as fun as a forty-minute speech about habeas corpus can be. If you are into that sort of thing, which I am.

I did find that many of my ideas about the League of Women Voters were flat-out wrong. Each of the following beliefs turned out to be a myth:

Myth 1: The League is only for women.

Apparently, I AM eligible to be in the League of Women Voters-- the name is just wrong.

Myth 2: The League is a satanic cabal obsessed with world domination.Again, not true. The League, according to my sources, is dedicated to the downfall of bad government practices and stuff like that, but they seemed a little miffed at the suggestion that they might be a satanic cabal. One offended women rebuffed this theory by saying that "I don't think satanic cabals have their meetings at Gratziano's in Waco." A point well taken.

Myth 3: The League is run by Charlton Heston and/or two superheroes named Ace and Gary.

I asked about this. They denied the Heston connection (that is some other organization) and pretended to have never heard of Ace and Gary, which was kind of suspicious.

Myth 4: The League is a competitive sports league with fighting, like the National Hockey League.

From what I am told, this is not true for most of the chapters, particularly in the south. The woman I talked to about this agreed that there may be hockey-style fights in some of the Minnesota chapters, though. I am sending away for some video just to check.

Comments:
....Well I got the A.G. Duo referance.
 
I'm from Minnesota and my mom was in the League of Women Voters back in the sixties, and I think there was fighting, or at least cross-checking because she would come home with a nice shiner from time to time. She said that the "League" as was a great place to drink lots of coffee and smoke oodles of cigarettes. I think she was right.
 
Did they sing "Votes for Women" from Mary Poppins as their theme song? You have to have a theme song.... Ally McBeal did... Although I preferred John Cage's theme song...

"Let's get it together, baby!"
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#