Thursday, November 16, 2006

 

Another repressed memory


There is probably a reason that I have not allowed this one to surface...

When I was about 16, I took my kinda-girlfriend, a sophomore I had inexplicably nicknamed "Stan," down to a concert in downtown Detroit. Taking a girl to downtown Detroit wasn't necessarily as bad as it sounds to an outsider, but it did have some risks, such as being attacked by terrifying strangers, which is exactly what happened.

As we walked up to the concert, a mime suddenly ran up to my girlfriend, took her arm, and started doing that goofy exaggerated walk that mimes do. I turned around, saw them, and ran for it-- I have always been terrified by mimes.

Needless to say, that story made the rounds at high school, and I probably deserved the ridicule, but... I still think mimes are evil.

Comments:
I'm guessing you and Stan didn't have too many dates after that?
 
Mimes are harmless. Besides, they are French. You deserved all of the mockery you received.

However, had it been a clown... run like hell.
 
This doesn't sound repressed at all. This is the kind of thing you can't help but remember all the time. Sounds more like a memory you WISH you could repress, but won't go away. Kind of like a really bad bubblegum pop song that gets stuck in your head for days.
 
The best thing about mimes - nobody can hear them screaming for help.
 
Joe--

That is a really excellent observation. I am setting up a mime trap right now. I got instructions off the internet.
 
vd--
It's true, she wasn't so much of a conversationalist. It probably was best for both of us.
 
One of my professors my freshman year of undergrad had graduated from mime school in France. I wish I were making that up. Ironically, he taught -Oral- Communications. Hm.
 
You know, you can never get enough oral communications, I always say. Unless a mime is involved. Then run the other way. Mimes creep me out.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#