Monday, October 16, 2006

 

The Tigers


Like a lot of people, including the entire city of New York, I'm pretty stunned the Tigers are in the World Series. I've been a life-long Tigers fan; before I moved to Texas, I had season tickets with some of the other prosecutors. To a city that has seen so many failures, the Tigers' success is something to cling to. About the time I was born, there were around two million people living in the city of Detroit; now there are only about 900,000. That statistic encompasses millions of depressing facts.

The Tigers last won the series in 1984 and 1968. It was the 1968 win which cemented the relationship between the city and the team for those of us alive at the time. My family lived in the city of Detroit through December of 1968, then we moved out. Before the Tigers win, and before we moved, came the riots of 1967. It is hard to describe those riots. I was a small child, but I remember troops taking over the city and the smell of smoke as it seemed like the whole city was on fire. It was the next year that the Tigers won, in a city that desperately needed something to cling to.

How much did it matter in a city torn apart by racial division? Enough that I was five at the time, but remember the name of the Tigers' utility player, Gates Brown. Enough that I remember the story of my (white) friend Drew standing in front of the mirror convincing himself he looked like (black) Willie Horton. Enough to make things a little better, and sometimes that is as good as it gets.

So, yeah, I'll be rooting for the Tigers.

Comments:
My first world series was, of course, Twins and Dodgers in '65, but it was sad for me because I couldn't figure out why my guys couldn't hit Sandy Koufax pitching. I was six and thought that all pitchers were hittable at some point. I was wrong.

I have vivid memories of both '67 and '68. America was in turmoil, and most of urban America was a mess. I rooted like a madman for those Tigers, and although I hadn't heard the name "Gates Brown" in over thirty years (now approaching forty) how could I ever forget it? Or Bill Freehan behind the plate? Lolich and McClain pitching? With Kaline, Northrup, and Horton in the outfield (my cousin Keith was the Gates Brown fan). Norm Cash playing first, Dick McAuliffe at second and Mickey Stanley at short. Of course, Lou Brock and Bob Gibson were on the other side. Unforgettable.
 
I'm just wondering whether we'll see a repeat of Bubba Helms and the burning police car if the Tigers win...
 
I highly recommend you read The Final Season about a Detroit fan who attends every home game in Tiger Stadium's final season.

And, as an Orioles fan, I'll certainly be rooting for the Tigers who, until this season, were just as hapless as the Birds. And I always liked the Trammel-Whittaker double play combination. Maybe the best tandem ever (aside from Cal and Billy Ripken).
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#