Tuesday, October 10, 2006

 

No Body Farm for You!

It's kind of a sad day. First, I found out that the law review at a pretty-good Christian university rejected this article as "too religious" (but didn't bother to tell me of their decision, despite having exclusive review). [Someone is interested-- I see the abstract on SSRN has gotten over 700 reads without the article being published]. Then, my class looked sort of glazed (except Ms. Stallings, who probably remained alert only out of the fear I was going to pull her hair again), so I followed suit and gave my lecture in a listless monotone while slumping dejectedly on the end of a desk.

Then, I found out from this Lariat article that Baylor U. is decommissioning its forensic science major by folding it into anthropology. Intriguingly, in the article Prof. Lori Baker explains that through some magical process forensic science "is today" anthropology, which seems to be news to the people who were studying for that major. I was a fan of the forensic science department, and gave a lecture there last year which I really enjoyed.

One further casualty of this is the hope that Baylor will begin a body farm, in which bodies are left to decompose so that the process can be studied. While I probably would not want this farm to be located adjacent to the law school, it seemed like something that would be useful for the forensic science folks, and that it could have been a strange new part of the college tour offered to eager high school seniors.

Comments:
I'm of the oppinion you no longer need law reviews. You have a blog. Just publish it on here and wait for the court to cite to Osler's Razor.

But in between teaching, blogging, Facebook, and playing Taco Bueno, I'm wondering, where you find time to write books and articles?
 
Mr. Swanburg--

For all this writing, I have an undergrad student do it for $5/hr plus snacks. Actually, she's a Pi Phi! Do you know her? She has blond hair.
 
You've branched out. In college, as I recall, you employed Chi-O's exclusively to get your term papers written.

I did like the trick where you got Harvard Law students to write your papers in law school.

But didn't they have to bring their own snacks back then?
 
I might. I have a blonde Pi Phi doing my outlines and a brunette Kappa working on my LARC II memo.

I pay by the page and give them unlimited use of my tanning bed and Tivo.

Smart girls.
 
More correctly, it's not my tanning bed since that would be both inappropriate and awkward. It's the tanning bed of the complex in which I live.

That is all.
 
Does the bluebook tell you how to properly cite a blog?...
 
We already have our own body farm by the law school. It's called the cemetary.
 
you always think the class looks glazed...maybe the weather is getting to you.
 
T.S. brought this to my attention, and I thought I would share:

http://barelylegalblog.blogspot.com/2006/10/email-exchange-with-reader.html
 
We already have our own body farm AT the law school...

It's called PC.
 
Poor Osler! It's not you, it's crazy assignments and mini-trials. I like talking about making money anytime; it was actually nice to remember that someday we'll get paid to get no sleep and feel dumb all the time. Lately, I do not feel that it would be unconscionable to bill the school more than 24 hours a day. In fact, I think I will send Dean Toben a bill right now...
 
Anon-- Re the citation form for blogs. There must be one, since at least 75 blogs have been cited at least once-- which is more attention than 160,000 law review articles have received.

Check it out: http://sentencing.typepad.com/sentencing_law_and_policy/2006/08/updated_list_of_1.htm

Harvard and Yale's law reviews have both begun internet versions to fill the gap between law reviews and blogs.
 
Single Poster:

How Appealing, http://howappealing.law.com/ (Oct. 11, 2006, 08:22 EST).

Multiple Poster:

Posting of Amy Howe to SCOTUSblog, http://www.scotusblog.com/movabletype/ (Oct. 11, 2006, 06:34 EST).

See BB 18.2.4

-B
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#