Saturday, September 16, 2006

 

A Twist on the Usual Blogging Community

Today I am driving from Vancouver down to Bellingham, Washington.

I was thinking, though, that it is an interesting blogging world we have at Baylor. From what I can gather there are about three active bloggers besides me, with the retirement of SoTheBearSays (the grandfather of them all): FromMalibutoWaco, Ladybird2, and Poseur (all linked to the left). A normal blogging community consists of people who know each other via blogging, but not in person.

The twist on our little world is that this fact is pretty much true even though we are all in the same building every day. Because I teach upper level classes and the bloggers are not yet to their third year, I don't see them in my usual interactions with students. While I enjoy the repartee with Swanburg (FromMalibutoWaco) here, he probably isn't sure which of the profs heading off in a gaggle to lunch is me.

There is a doctoral dissertation for a sociology student in there somewhere. And, yes, the proper term for a migratory group of professors is "gaggle."

Comments:
if i know swanburg, he's already stalked you via facebook, web and all other available means.
 
The funny part is, all of you put together paint a very publishable picture of Baylor Law. It's like "Crash" with mutant cyborg professors, and low Civpro curves. I feel a movie coming on, and the script is already written.
 
I grew up in Bellingham - great place. If you like hiking, take the Mt. Baker Hwy (hwy 542) east. There are a lot of great trails between miles 25 and 40.
 
I type when I drive too, on my blackberry. I make a lot of typos. But my friends and clients are often amused.

Probably not that smart to be driving a 2000 pound hulk of steel at 70 mph while looking at a keyboard and using one hand to push keys. It makes it hard to change stations on the radio and I keep spilling my beer.
 
Bellingham? What are you doing so far from home? We need to head to the seven seas and talk about girls.
 
Interestingly, in L.A., gaggle is most frequently used to describe a group of homosexuals. The full phrase is, “A gaggle of gays” but it’s generally shortened to just “a gaggle.” I prefer to think of professors rolling in posses.

And yes, I know what you look like. Maybe one day we can ride the elevator together and share a painfully awkward silence only to blog about it later.
 
Only 3 faculty bloggers at Baylor? Hmmm. I'm not sure how many bloggers are at my little university, to be honest.
 
Billso-- No only three active STUDENT bloggers; I think I'm the only faculty blogger.
 
could you get prof. civ pro to start blogging?
 
I'm trying not to antagonize the professor who has the power to make my third year a living hell. I will stick to antagonizing Swanburg. Because let's face it, I could probably take him.

Though I do think that laser pointer could be dangerous.
 
To be fair...
Prof. Osler cant really make PC "a living hell"- its really like he can be "the straw that broke the camel's back"
The "living hell" part is for the other two, who have 5x the opportunities to make your life difficult
 
I'm keeping my head down as much as possible for someone who discusses her daily life on the internet, with a picture next to it, with the awareness that I hit PC in the spring. Sssh... I'm completely anonymous! You have no idea who I am! These are not the law students you're looking for!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#