Thursday, September 21, 2006

 

My First Haiku

Several of you have reminded me that in starting this blog I promised not only drivel, but haiku. Thus far, I have given you much drivel, but no haiku whatsoever. Today, that fallow period will end.

For those unfamiliar with haiku: This form of Japanese poetry evolved in the late 19th century from an older mode of verse called "hokku." As understood by most Americans, haiku involves a pattern of three lines of verse. The first line is composed of five syllables, the second has seven syllables, and the third has five.

For those unfamiliar with practice court: Baylor's practice court program (or "PC") is a mandatory, intense period of study for third-year students. It involves both classroom work and courtroom exercises.

So here is the haiku. I call it "Ode to the Person Who Almost Fell Asleep in My Class Today":


Awake until three
Toner tangled in her hair
A bad man, PC


Feel free to add your own haiku in the comments section.

Comments:
GC to PC

Tommy Bahama to suit

I miss Underwood
 
I just noticed that I posted haiku at 1:34 and Swanburg posted some at 1:54. Hmmmm... we didn't coordinate that. Really.
 
"mandatory" and "intense" don't begin to explain Practice Court

Watch "Midnight Express", and then picture it in a well-lit lawschool, and you get the idea
 
one way on the net
antithetic in the hall
class I don't regret.
 
Sympathy for her

Doze off in meetings too

Colleagues kick my chair
 
Mr. Hoelscher, have you
been spending too much time at
The Cryin' Shame, son?
 
What's even stranger is that I would have probably posted at about the exact same time but my internet went out and I had to wait until I got back to school.

I could understand if we were writing about the same story, but really . . . haiku?
 
I hate to break it to you but I think I was actually up about an hour and forty minutes prior to yours.

I just noticed my last comment says it was posted at 5:14 when it should say 7:14. Your blog still thinks your still on PST.

Maybe it's time for that Baylor Blogging Ethics Symposium
 
Hmmm... so you were Haiku-ing while I was still teaching PC. Why is my blog in PDT? Is it some kind of weird West Coast blog network?

Still, it's pretty cool we both did Haiku at the same time.

Is someone calling me an "antithetic?" Is that like an "oral antithetic?"
 
you probably think this song is about you...
 
Fun fact (which I pointed out to the Prof once whilst visiting Waco): Mick Jagger sings backup on "You're So Vain." Comes in during the second chorus or so.
 
Waiting for Wii,
iPod Nanos by the box,
Lots of tech for me!
 
I tried so hard, Sir

but ran out of Ritalin

so I took a walk
 
Joe and llj--

Excellent work.

Micah--

Is "Wii" one syllable or two?
 
I was not surprised to hear who the new PR professor was. I was not surpised by the first day's reading assignment for PR. (I seem to remember reading a play by Susan Glaspell during my 2nd year at Baylor.) I WAS surprised and delighted to discover this blog late last night.
 
It depends how you pronounce it. In my haiku, if's 2 syllables
 
Went to Meeting Today
Met Australian lawyer
Warm room, fell asleep
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#