Friday, August 28, 2026

Haiku Friday: Intriguing place names

 


Here in Minnesota, we seem to specialize in goofy place names-- people don't even seem to notice, for example, if you mention the town called "Embarrass." Let's haiku about those intriguing names, in any state or nation. Here, I will go first:

Ah, Castle Danger--
Former home of Betty's Pies!
Lakeside mystery.

Now it is your turn! Just use the 5/7/5 syllable pattern and have some fun!

16 comments:

  1. Houston's Buffalo
    Speedway: Mind pix of bison
    driving Indy cars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coeur d'Alene's meaning?
    Unknown. It just sounds pretty
    to say it out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Which town you want to
    live in, Sulphur or Sour
    Lake? (yes, these are real)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woman Hollering
    Creek prob'ly has a superb
    story behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best state name must be
    Mississippi. Lyrical
    double letter sounds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crystal Beach isn't.
    But the name conjures up a
    lifetime of mem'ries.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is it apparent
    that I've thought a lot about
    place names in my life?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous8:45 AM

      I’m so glad that you did!

      Delete
  8. Michimom5:46 AM

    Slapneck, Michigan
    Gnaw Bone, West Virginia
    Both seen on road trips

    ReplyDelete
  9. In Michigan you
    Can visit both Paradise
    Or Hell - seen neither

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mark L.8:41 AM

    Croaker, Norge, two names
    One interstate exit sign
    Thought they were one place

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous8:56 AM

    Finlayson Askov
    Is Driving North driving South
    Askov Finlayson

    ReplyDelete
  12. I must have misheard
    the name "Hairy Man Road"; nope, turns out I didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Driving past Croaker
    and Norge, we see Lady Smith.
    Where’s Black Mambazo?

    ReplyDelete
  14. CraigA7:43 AM

    Short Pump used to be
    Lovely farmland with quirky
    name, now shopping mall.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Is it Waco? or
    Is it Wacko? I'm tired of
    explaining the name.

    ReplyDelete